Chapter 11 Growing up

Tatiana took a long, cold shower. She felt her mind go blank as the water ran down her face and neck.

As much ash she wanted last night to be a dream she had to face reality. There was no running from it.

She dried herself off and checked her phone. 

"Hey, the party's going well. I made a slight-"  That was enough. Last night really happened. Tatiana shuddered at the memories. She couldn't purge them from her mind.

She checked her phone calendar. Nope. The dinner party was indeed yesterday.

Suddenly her phone rang. 

Tatiana nearly dropped the blasted thing but managed to answer the call. 

"Lola?! Are you okay?"

"Tatiana!" Came a jovial voice over the phone.

".....Ah, Mr Bethell. It's rather early in the morning."

"I always make a habit of taking an early morning stroll. Last nights dinner was truly devine Tatiana."

"Really?"

"Oh yes. Superb. After a night like that I just had to call you and ask about this business arrangement you were alluding too?"

Tatiana opened her mouth but a big glob of emotion blocked the words in her throat. 

"Tatiana?"

"I'm sorry Desmond. I would love to discuss that with you but I just got some...unpleasant news. I'm going to have to call you later. I'm in no shape to talk business right now."

"Oh no! What happened?"

"It's personal."

A mild chuckle came through the phone. "The queen of Silicon Valley has a personal life? I guess the tabloids made a blunder when they said you were all work-"

"Mr. Bethell! Please...I'm... I'm really in no shape to discuss this right now."

"Oh my. So this is serious. I'm terribly sorry, is there anything I can do?"

"Thank you but no. Just give me your assurance that we will have a meeting very soon."

"Of Course Tatiana. Just say the word. And of course, remember to bring those two bottles of claret with you.  I have a brother who owns a vineyard. I have got to let him have a taste of your private stock."

"I'm honoured. And Mr Bethell?"

"Yes?"

"The Aristoligist dinner was truly satisfactory?"

"Oh my dear... We haven't had such a pleasant evening since the dinner of 2004."

"Thank you Mr Bethell. Good morning." Tatiana hung up.

She stared at her phone for a minute. Dreading the truth. Her mind already preparing for the worst possible scenarios.

Then she called the Loud families home number.

 ring.

Ring.

ri- "Hello?" Came a female voice. Young. One of the sisters.

"Good morning!" Tatiana deepened her voice and made herself sound peppy and upbeat. "Is this the residence of miss...Lola Loud?"

"....uh, yeah. Who are you?" it was Lynn jr. But there was something off in her voice.

"My name is Gabriella Bernstein. I run a flower business over in Berkley heights. My business is brand new and I'm creating some advertising to get the word out."