Welcome back

Luz POV: 

Two years.

Two long years since I had last been to the Boiling Isles. Two years where I've barely had any contact with the friends I made, nor my mentor. Two years since I've started learning and practicing magic. Two long years since I've seen my home away from home. 

And now, it was finally time for me to go back. I stood in the doorway of my room, a duffel bag full of anything I'd need draped over my shoulder and a key tightly gripped in my hand. 

I looked down at the key Eda had given me a couple of years ago. The bright yellow eye at the top of the key still shined as brightly as it did when I first got it. My thumb ran over top of it, watching the light collecting in its eye. 

Taking a deep breath, I glanced at my room once again, a soft smile on my face as I observed the fairly empty walls of my old living spot. Then, spinning on my heel, I stuffed the key into my pocket and made my way downstairs, ready to head back to the Boiling Isles. 

This time, to stay. 

My footsteps loudly echoed off the walls as I quickly made my way downstairs, nearly falling down in the process. Jumping off the last three steps, I grabbed onto the banister and hung off of it for a moment.

"Mom? I'm gonna go!" I called out, moving over to the mirror that hung on the wall. Looking at my reflection, I quickly adjusted my beanie and flicked the collar of my jacket up before shooting myself finger guns. "Still looking sharp."

Suddenly, from behind me, I could see my mom appear in the mirror. The sight of her reflection startled me, making me jump. My bag fell to the ground with a loud thud, making her wince. She placed her hands on my shoulders to steady me, making sure I didn't fall. 

"Oh geez! It's just you." I started to laugh, earning a slightly confused look from my mom. "Thought you were a monster there for a second." I managed to get out between chuckles. 

"Hopefully there wasn't anything fragile in your bag." She said, cracking a small smile. I glanced down at my bag, then shrugged. 

"Eh, if there was, I'm sure it can be fixed with a bit of magic." I winked, earning me a soft sigh. She eyed me up and down for a moment, her hands moving to my collar to adjust it. 

Her eyes met then mine before she quickly pulled me into a hug. "I'm going to miss you mija." She said softly, hugging me a little tighter. I hesitated for a moment, then wrapped my arms around her. 

"Woah! Hey, you're acting like you'll never see me again." I muttered as she pulled away from me. I could see her eyes were glistening slightly. 

"Sometimes it feels like I won't." She said softly. "I mean, I'm letting you go to live in another dimension." 

"Honestly, I'm still surprised you're letting me do that." I remarked, earning me a small snort and another smile. 

"I'm surprised too." She replied, moving her glasses to wipe her eyes. I bent down to pick up my bag, throwing it over my shoulder. My mom's eyes went from me to my beanie. "Do you really need that?" She asked, reaching to take it off my head. 

I quickly moved away, lightly swatting her hand. "Hey! It's part of my style!" I said, adjusting it slightly on my head. 

"Is wearing a plaid shirt like a jacket also your style?" I nodded my head, to which she gave me a soft sigh. "If you say so." 

She gave me a slightly lopsided smile, her hands moving up so that she could run her fingers through some of my hair that peeked out from under my beanie. "Promise me you won't cause too much trouble?" Her voice wavered slightly, but I could tell she was trying to cover it up.