Chapter 119

While everyone was busy cheering and going back to their common rooms, Hermione and I made our way toward Harry and Ron in the changing rooms to congratulate them.

But apparently Hermione had something else in mind.

"I want a word with you, Harry," she said sternly before taking a deep breath. "You shouldn't have done it. You heard Slughorn, it's illegal."

      "C'mon, Mione," I started, trying to change the subject, "let's not —"

"What are you going to do, turn us in?" demanded Ron, cutting me off.

"What are you two talking about?" asked Harry, turning away to hang up his robes, but I caught him grinning.

"You know perfectly well what we're talking about!" said Hermione. "You spiked Ron's juice with lucky potion at breakfast! Felix Felicis!"

"No, I didn't," said Harry, turning back to face her.

"Yes you did, Harry, and that's why everything went right, there were Slytherin players missing and Ron saved everything!"

"I didn't put it in!" said Harry, grinning broadly.

With that, he slipped his hand inside his jacket pocket and took out the tiny bottle which was completely full.

"I just wanted Ron to think I'd done it, so I faked it when I knew you were looking." He then turned to look at Ron. "You saved everything because you felt lucky. You did it all yourself." He pocketed the potion again.

"There really wasn't anything in my pumpkin juice?" Ron said in disbelief. "But the weather's good... and Malfoy was sick and couldn't play.... I honestly haven't been given lucky potion?"

Harry shook his head. Ron gaped at him for a moment, then rounded on Hermione, imitating her voice. "You added Felix Felicis to Ron's juice this morning, that's why he saved everything! See! I can save goals without help, Hermione!"

By those mere words, I saw Hermione turn a deep shade of pink as she looked at him.

"I never said you couldn't — Ron, you thought you'd been given it too!"

But Ron had already strode past her out of the door with his broomstick over his shoulder.

"Er... shall we go to the party?" said Harry, breaking the silence while I just looked between them awkwardly.

"You go!" said Hermione, blinking back tears. "I'm sick of Ron at the moment, I don't know what I'm supposed to have done..."

And with that, she stormed out of the changing room.

But instead of going after her or accompanying Ron and Harry, I walked back up to the common room. Yet I didn't join the party either.

Instead I sat on the couch before the fireplace and stared into the flames. I always enjoyed reading about drama, but I hated being in the middle of it.

I loved those three with all my heart, but I missed the fun days when I used to go around the school, making trouble and pranking Filch with Fred and George, sometimes even accompanied by Lee.

But now, as I sat there surrounded by people, I felt more alone than I had felt in a very long time.

I rested my chin in my palm as I watched the dancing flames, but my attention was then caught by people wolf-whistling behind me.

Turning around in my seat and glancing over my shoulder, I saw Ron in a close embrace with Lavender Brown, kissing each other.

But just then I caught sight of a bushy haired girl leaving the common room. Knowing that it was Hermione, I got off the couch and hurried after her.

From afar, I saw her open the first classroom door and go inside. Sighing to myself in sadness, I walked over and got inside hesitantly, closing the door behind me.

"Hey," I said softly as I started toward her.

Hermione was sitting on the front desk and when she saw me, she quickly ran her fingers across her face, wiping away her tears.

Pursing my lips together, I sat up next to her on the desk, having no idea what I could say to possibly make her feel better, yet determined to comfort her.

But to my great relief, she was the one who started the conversation and broke the silence.

"You're very lucky, you know," she said in a small voice. "Fred seems like a... nice guy."

I knew Hermione never approved of Fred and George, but by her words, I knew that she wasn't talking about his troublesome moments.

       "Look..." I started, sighing again. "Things will work out for the better. You might not see that happening right now... but they will."

She didn't answer and instead raised her wand, conjuring a flock of beautiful yellow birds out of it and watched them sadly fly around her.

With that, I drew an arm around her shoulder, holding her comfortingly. But just then, our heads shot up when someone opened the door.

"Hermione?" Looking up, we saw Harry walk in.

"Oh, hello, Harry," she said in a brittle voice. "I was just practicing."

"Yeah... they're — er — really good..." said Harry awkwardly.

"Ron seems to be enjoying the celebrations."

"Er... does he?" said Harry.

"Don't pretend you didn't see him," said Hermione. "He wasn't exactly hiding it, was — ?"

The door behind us burst open once again and to our horror, Ron came in, pulling Lavender by the hand as they laughed.

"Oops!" said Lavender suddenly as she spotted us, and so she backed out of the room, giggling. The door swung shut behind her.

A deadly silence fell among us as Hermione glared at Ron, while he tried to look at anything but her.

She then slid off the desk, the little flock of golden birds continuing to fly around her.

"You shouldn't leave Lavender waiting outside," she said quietly. "She'll wonder where you've gone."

Ron stared at her motionlessly, glad that she didn't react any worse. But Hermione suddenly raised her wand and cried out, "Oppugno!"

By that, the birds sped like golden bullets toward Ron, who yelped and covered his face with his hands as the birds attacked, pecking and clawing at every bit of flesh they could reach.

As he was trying to fight them off, Hermione stormed out of the room once again, disappearing out of sight.

Harry and I took out our wands, trying to save Ron from the birds helplessly. When we finally got rid of them, I pocketed my wand and ran out after Hermione.

She wasn't in the common room and when I checked the dormitory, she was missing from there too.

Growing worried about her, I went around the castle, looking inside every classroom and turning into each chamber to find her.

But I finally came to a halt as I passed a bathroom by and heard someone crying inside it.