Chapter 7

That night in my apartment, I had planned on watching a movie and not thinking about work. I wanted to keep my mind off what had happened, but nothing would distract my thoughts.

I had put in Lady and the Tramp, a childhood favorite. When I got the part where the Tramp meets Lady and tells her what a “wee barren” is, I directed my attention to the files taped over my walls. Each of the Avengers, and others who were close counterparts.

I brought myself to stand up and gaze upon the Winter Soldier’s file.

“Bucky Barnes…107th infantry…train accident…captured by Hydra…” I read over his file, trying to engrain the lies in my head, as if that would make them truth.

 A shudder wrapped my body at the memory of his sad, pleading eyes. I sank back onto the couch and stared at the screen although my mind was elsewhere.

My mind was interrupted by the sound of my phone buzzing. I searched for it, hobbling around the apartment like a limp. I finally found it on the kitchen table, chirping and bouncing on the wood.

It was Grace. “Hey,” I breathed.

“El, I just wanted to see how you were doing. Riley told me you had an interview with Barnes today and never returned to the office.”

I sank down into a kitchen chair with my elbow propped up, holding my head. “Riley? Was he worried or something?”

“El, you didn’t contact him at all. You always do.”

            I gave her silence. Inside the phone I could hear her sigh.

            “El…I’m worried about you.”

            “I’m fine. Really.”

            “Let me come over.”

            “No, it’s alright. I’ll be fine.”

            “No, El. I’m coming. You’re not communicating with me.”

            Before I could retaliate, she hung up. I dropped the phone on the table rested my head on my arm. My apartment was a mess. Papers, notes, files, empty water bottles, and chip crumbs spotted the floor by the couch. I felt like a slob. Grace would say something.

            It must have taken Grace longer than usual to arrive because I was awoken by pounding on my door. I sat up with a jolt, wiping the slobber off the side of my mouth.

            I tripped to the door and opened it. When I saw the look on Grace’s face, I turned away from her in shame. I must have looked like a dirty mop.

            “I knew I should have come. Why do you do this, El?” Grace whined, pushing past me.