He Reigns on the Mountain - Chapter 5

Psalms 31: 14-16   I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me. Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.

Chapter 5

After their evening at Poppie’s where they not only shared a meal, but also a little bit of their secrets, Jamie and Jess understood where each other stood and became good friends. It was easy for them to hang out with each other and just talk knowing that they were only ever going to be friends. Sure, there was still a spark when they saw each other or disappointment when they didn’t, but those feelings, they could deal with and lock it securely away in the back of their mind.

The first few weeks of school flew by and things were going smoothly. Jess began working with the children at church on a few Christmas songs to sing in December. She had talked to Jamie about possibly doing a hayride and go carolling to the various homes in the community. Although it was several months away, from previous experience, Jess knew to get a good head start.

At a Wednesday night’s practice, Jess was working with the children on O Holy Night when Tommy, a young student in her class came in late. Jess could tell something was wrong, but could not tell what. When she gave the kids a break, she asked Tommy to talk with her. He was hesitant and when she asked him to sit down, he did so gingerly and she could tell that he had been spanked. Spankings were common in this community and although Jess at first did not like it, and quite honestly she still didn’t. Jamie told her that even though he did not like it either, this was the ways of the mountains. to “Pick your battles!” Meaning she would never win this one.

But as she examined Tommy, he had bruises she could see. Some on the neck just under his collar that she only saw when he moved. One on his arm and another on his jaw that looked as if it was just starting to turn colors.

“Tommy how did you get that bruise?”

“Um. Um. Um. I fell out of my bed.”

“Tommy?” Jess said quietly, you can tell me. I want to help you. Tommy just shook his head and looked away.

“If you don’t let me know what is going on, I will think the worst. Did your Mama give them to you?” Jess knew Tommy’s mother had never spanked him. She was sweet and gentle to everyone she came in contact with. But by using his Mother, Jess got to the truth.

“No ma’am, Mama would never do this. Daddy just got drunk and I was the last to hide.” Tommy was nervous. He was probably telling something that his parents had told him to keep secret. He was looking around nervous afraid that maybe someone else heard him.

“Tommy, does this happen a lot?” Jess said as she gently put a hand on his arm close to the bruise. She was stunned that something like this was happening to one of her students. Spankings she could keep quiet, but this? No way!

Tommy just shrugged. “Sometimes a lot, sometimes not a lot. Depends on how much he drinks.”

“What does your Mama do?”

“She tries to hide us or send us someplace until he falls down.” Tommy took a deep breath. “Miss Robinson, don’t tell anybody, it is our secret, OK?”

“Tommy, let me see what I can do. But you don’t need to tell anyone that you told me. OK?”

“Yes ma’am.”

She gathered the children back together and they practiced a few more songs. But, the entire time she was thinking and praying, not knowing what to do. By law, she is required to report it. But, should she tell Jamie? No, there was no need to call him, this was a cut and dry case of abuse. By the end of practice, her mind was set, she would call this in to Child Protective Services as soon as she could.