Chapter 6

Once I got in my house my mom was asking me a million questions including, "Who just dropped you off?" "My friends, Carmen, Taylor, Lily, and Kylie," I answered, getting a bag of chips to take up to my room. "Wow! That was nice of them to give you a ride home." "Ya, and I might be going to the movies tonight, but probably not," I said, trying to avoid the whole, "with who?" question. "Ya? Who with?" my mom said with a smirk. Well there goes that. "A certain somebody I'm not interested in like that, mom," I said running upstairs with my chips and backpack.

I throw my backpack on my queen sized bed and go outside to sit on my balcony overlooking my street. I sit there, in my comfy chair and eat my chips. There's not much happening on the street, I see some elementary school boys playing basketball in their driveway, an old lady watering her flowers, and a girl walking down the street. Wait a minute. That girl was Taylor! I run downstairs and out the door to say, "hi," to her. "Hey! What are you doing here?" I ask. "I live right there Siena, did you not notice Carmen drop me off right after you?" she laughed. "No I didn't! So we're neighbors?" I ask, excited now. "Ya, and the other girls are just walking distance." "Wow, do you wanna come in and do homework together?" "Sure, my mom won't mind she's at work." "What about your dad?" I ask. Her face went white and then she smiled, "Oh, uh, he lives in New York, ya, and I don't see him very often, I live with my mom," she said, obviously lying, but I decided I'll get it out of her later. We walk in the front door and I introduce her to my mom who was running around like crazy. "Mom, this is Taylor. Taylor this is my mom, Sandy." "Hi Taylor, I'm so sorry I'm running around like a fool, my boss is giving me tons of work on my first day," she now said talking to me, " I have to work the night shift but you can have your other friends over as long as everyone leaves by 7:00." "Thanks mom, good luck," I said kissing her on the cheek as she runs out the door. "My dad is at a meeting in Boston right now so we have the house to ourselves," I said, getting out my phone to text the other girls.

We stayed downstairs until the other girls arrived. We all went upstairs and got homework done pretty quickly. It was only 4:00 when we were finished. We just sat on my floor and talked. I was finding out a lot things about these girls. Like Carmen could speak French and Kylie's brother plays basketball for UNC. "Come on, tell us one of your secrets, Siena," Lily said. "Um, I, I don't kno-," and in the middle of my stuttering, my phone dinged. Everyone stopped and stared at my phone that read, " Text from Zach😋" My hands shook as the girls crowed around the phone. I unlocked the screen and opened the text.

Zach: Hey! The movie starts at 9:00, so when should I pick you up?

"WHAT SHOULD I SAY???" I yell frantically. "Tell him you're sick!" said Kylie. "No wait, tell him your mom is sick!" Carmen said. "Or I could tell him the truth..." Everybody stared at me blankly for about 5 seconds before bursting into a fit of laughter.

Siena: I'm not feeling to well, I don't think I wanna go to the movie.

Zach: Really? You seemed fine at school.

Siena: Ya I know. I don't know what happened.

Zach: Siena, I know you're not telling me the full truth...

"How the hell would he know that?!" "He has ways of knowing when girls are lying I guess," said Taylor. "I'm not lying, just stretching the truth a little," I said.

Siena: It's true, I don't think you want to get whatever I have.

Zach: Siena just tell me the truth.

Siena: I'm sick and I don't want to get other people sick, and that's the truth.

Zach: Then why is your little group of friends at your house?

Siena: How would you know that?!?!

Zach: Go out on your balcony and look left.

I get up not waiting for the girls. It was around 5:00 so the sun was pretty low in the sky. It was beautiful. I look over and see Zach sitting on the front steps of a house. Oh no, I had just realized that it was HIS house. It was a huge house that was on the same street as mine. I lived at the very end of a dead end street that rounded at the end, so I could see his house clear as day, and he could see into my bedroom through the big bay windows on the door to my balcony. Oh dear, this wasn't good at all.

The girls came out onto the balcony and one by one their jaws dropped as they saw Zach sitting on the staircase. We all go back inside and as soon as I put the curtains down so he couldn't see us, my phone rings. Of course it's Zach. I answer it wanting to get this over with.

"Hey Zach," I say in a sigh. The girls keep mouthing, "PUT IT ON SPEAKER," which I did. "Hey, you wanna tell me what this is all about?" he said in his husky voice. "Um, it's-it's nothing," I said, not knowing what else to say. "Is it the horror movie thing? Because we don't have to see the horror movie if you don't want to," Zach laughed. "No, it's just that... well- everyone knows you're a bad boy and I saw you at lunch with that blonde girl in your lap and I don't need that in my life so I decided not to go to the movies tonight because I don't want all of the drama that comes with going on one date with you, let alone you possibly being dedicated to someone. I'm sorry," I said hanging up.

There was another silence that was broken by Kylie jumping up and hugging me and cheering along with everyone else. Eventually it was a big group hug and I was trapped.

We ate extra lunchables that I had in my fridge for dinner and then everyone left by 7:00. It was nice having a group of friends that always had my back and helped me with this kind if thing. I was excited for this year, as long as nothing else went wrong...