Chapter 48: What's Next?

48. What’s Next?

“Eldrid I-” Thor said as he opened the door, and then stopped as he surveyed the scene.

I looked over at him with a complete look of desperation on my face, and he frowned slightly.

“What’s going on here?” He asked slowly, as Peter and Tony sized each other up. The lights on Stark’s gauntlets went out as his fists closed tightly and he looked away with visible self-restraint, while Peter crossed arms angrily and shot daggers at Tony.

“We were just having a conversation,” I replied weakly.

“Peter – It’s nice to see that you’re back on our side again,” Thor said as he focused on him, and Peter managed a forced smile.

“It’s good to be back.”

Tony grumbled something incomprehensible, and Peter glared at him.

“How’s Diana?” I asked quickly, changing the subject before things got awkward again, and Thor sighed sadly.

“I cannot lie, the child is devastated, Eldrid.”

My chest felt tight, but I kept my expression in check and looked at my uncle emotionlessly.

“What’s next?”

“Clint has something to tell us.”

As if on cue, Clint came out looking tired and weary.

“Ok, guys there’s something I need to tell you. Today is the day that Loki sets his army on the world. I didn’t tell you before because I knew you’d run off to try and stop him without helping me save ‘Tasha. I’m sorry. But that’s not the point anymore. The fact is that Loki is due to set out anytime soon – but he needs one more thing before going.”

We waited impatiently, and his eyes fell on me.

“He needs another full Asgardian to send their power into the Ledarmal before it can release its full potential. And he wants to make you do it, Eldrid. He knows that Thor would never help, but he thinks he can persuade you.”

“Me?” I asked, not entirely shocked, and Clint nodded seriously.

“You, Thor, Tony and Peter should go and face Loki. I’ll stay here and protect the kid, Natasha and the King from any threats.”

“The King?”

“Yeah, that old guy you freed is the King of Atlantis. ‘Tasha told me – she’s awake now, and so is he. There both fine. Diana’s ... well, physically she’s fine.”

I felt sick, but simply nodded briskly.

Suddenly, there was a whooshing noise and a flash of coloured steel before Clint crumpled to the floor. I spun around and saw Steve hitching his shield back up his arm. Peter webbed Steve’s face as Tony sent a repulsor blast at him. Distracted by the webs, the energy hit his chest and he was thrown backward into the stone wall behind, instantly knocking him unconscious as his head cracked against it.

Despite their obvious new-found dislike for each other, Tony and Peter made a good team, though I refrained from telling them this.

Thor was crouched beside Clint when I looked around again, but he looked relieved if a little concerned.

“He’s unconscious,” He informed us, and I sighed.

“Who’s going to protect the group now?” I murmured, and Thor stood.

“Perhaps you could heal him? I have yet to learn that skill.”

I placed my palm on his head, and exhaled slowly as the energy flowed into Clint. After a moment or so, his eyelids fluttered and he drew in a deep breath before groaning and sitting up.

“What-?” He began to ask, before seeing Captain America lying on the floor and noticing his shield.

He frowned, and got to his feet unsteadily.

“Ok, Cap can stay with me here – if he’s unconscious now then he should be fine when he wakes up.”

Abruptly, his eyes dilated, and then focused again.

“Eldrid ... why is there two of you?” He murmured confusedly. His gaze turned to Tony, and then filled with horror.

“Oh God, two Tony Starks!” He exclaimed, rubbing his head, and Tony chuckled.

“Who wouldn’t want another Tony Stark in the world?

“Anyone with a brain,” Peter muttered, and Tony shot him a glare.

“Should we go now?” I asked hastily.

“Yeah, get moving. I – I’ll stay here,” Clint frowned dizzily, and Thor sighed.

“I will stay too – and will come to your aid as soon as possible, Eldrid. Stay safe.”

I smiled at my uncle before turning to Tony.

“Are you ready to go and face Loki?”

“Yeah,” He seemed distracted as he met my eyes, and I gave him a comforting smile.

“Loki can’t hurt you – I won’t let him,” I assured him teasingly, but there was an uncharacteristic seriousness in his deep brown eyes.

“That’s not what I was thinking about.”

I understood, but didn’t say anything.

“Peter, you’re going to have to lead us there,” I said grudgingly as I realised that I didn’t have a clue which way was the right way, and Peter smiled triumphantly.

“Sure.”

Before we left them, I healed Steve. He was a nice person, and didn’t deserve to be controlled by Loki and then knocked unconscious.

Peter began to lead us down endless stone corridors, walking ahead of us.

“So, have you decided yet Eldrid?” Peter asked seriously as he led us through the gloomy castle, and I stumbled slightly.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“You want me, right?”

I stopped, and so did he and Tony, who looked annoyed.

“Stop pressuring her! Besides, you don’t have a chance,” Tony said bluntly, flashing my favourite grin.

“Uh-huh, really? I think that I called dibs first.”

“And yet you still managed to mess your chance up – nice going, kid.”

“Well, at least I’m not on the rebound!”

“How long ago was it since Gwen broke up with you again? Four weeks? Five?”

“And how long has it been since Pepper broke up with you? Clearly she realised what an arrogant playboy you are! I'm not surprised she broke up with you!”

I didn’t know how Peter knew about the break up, but it was a low blow, and Tony’s eyes narrowed in pain.

“Grow up, kid, and do us all a favour,” He said sharply, but Peter wasn’t finished.

“At least I look more her age!” Peter snapped, and Tony snorted.

“I’d be nearer to her real age. Besides, you’re way too immature for her.”

“I’m sorry, but have you looked in a mirror recently? The definition of Tony Stark is an immature idiot!”

“Idiot? Who, out of the two of us, is a genius?”

“Shut up!” I yelled loudly, my hands alight as my emotion peaked. Tony and Peter looked concerned, yet still determined, which angered me even more.

“Just stop! Don’t treat me like I’m a prize. Get a grip on yourselves!” I told them furiously, my hair sparking, and I stalked ahead of them as I recognised where we were. The throne room was only around the next corner.

“And that’s why she’s perfect for me,” I heard Tony murmur admiringly, and Peter laughed harshly.

“In your dreams, Stark. She’s mine.”

I really hated my life sometimes.