Insert 5 🥀

Edited: Luvhani Dathi-Praise Mudau

Cover: Caprynda Munyai

Photo:  Charlotte Dikeledi Thamaga as Dikeledi

If you find any misspelled words, contradictions and errors please leave a comment.

"Ms Madima please come, I'm Thabang Phaladi the managing director of Logina and I will be doing your interview" Thabang

He's light skinned, tall and middle sized. He offers me a handshake and my heart is all over the place right now because I am scared I might mess it up.

"Nice to meet you Mr Phaladi, thank you for the opportunity" I say finally returning a handshake

"Please sit down" He says

He take a piece of paper on the table and focus on it for few seconds before returning his attention to me.

"Tell me about yourself" Thabang

I have being preparing for this moment for 3 years now I know I have to give it my all, words are flowing and he's nodding as I answer his questions.
"How come you have no experience in relation to accounting?" Thabang

"This is my first interview in three years, I have been applying for a job but I never got an opportunity like this."

"Why a cleaner and receptionist two years ago" I reckon he would ask me that

"I was lucky enough to get a job like that, I know it doesn't polish my resume but I understand now that my words don't do much for me but my actions" I explain

"Why do you say that?" he leans back on his chair

"If I managed to get a job and secured it for two years that means I'm good with actions and if you can give me this opportunity I can assure you that you will not regret it " he smiles

"I will call you today before 4:30 with a feedback, thank you for your time" he says

"No thank you for your time, have a good day" I say as I leave his office

Dikeledi waves at me as I pass her desk with a smile, she's on the phone so that has to be our goodbye. What am I supposed to be doing until 4:30 when it's only 9:47? I will walk around doing what we call window shopping to get my off things.

I have been successfully doing a lot of window shopping and it's been five hours now, my legs are sore and I am hungry.Rudzani gave me R300 yesterday and I am left with R234 now, I have to buy food and save for transportation. I can't stop looking at my phone for time that is slow today, in my mind I feel like I messed up a lot during my interview.

NEW MESSAGE

Shit it's Una, bad timing little sister I am expecting a call. Only one hour left and still nothing, I am panicking. I just got off a taxi to Ladana which took minutes to even fill up and still no call.

I check my phone again, I have tears on my face already... It's 5:15 and still nothing.

I am just going to sleep with my disappointment once again, I am starting to feel it now. All those things people would say about it and I act like I didn't care. I do care I just didn't not want it to get to me.

"Mme awe vha cou shambila mara vha kwatsha vha mu isa tshikoloni uri vha tambule?"

that's all they would say, not how I struggled three years looking for a job and ended up settling mopping the floors they would walk on, still it wasn't enough.

PHONE RINGING

It's a personal number, I hope Una is not pulling stunts on me now because I will tear her up.