•C h a p t e r N i n e t e e n•

Song for chapter nineteen: Slipped Away by Avril Lavigne

|Skyler|

I sat crunched over a seat in the waiting room at Doctor Miranda's office. My legs bounced up and down — conveniently annoying the woman next to me. My hands wrung together until my knuckles became red.

The waiting area was typical, with medical puns and posters pasted all over the white walls, and chairs that surrounded a small suspended television that was muted. The front desk sat an old lady who's glasses were hanging so low on her nose that I don't even think they helped her eyes at all. She typed away on her computer, probably playing solitaire.

The woman next to me shot me an exasperated look as she clutched a cat magazine in her hands.

"Sorry," I muttered under my breath, placing my hands over my knees to stop them from bouncing any more.

"Skyler, Doctor Miranda is ready," the old lady at the front announced, for the first time looking up from her computer.

I nodded and stood up, slower than a sloth. My legs moved robotically, following the command of the more rational portion of my brain. If I ran off now it would just give them all the more reason to make me come back. I had to show them that I was fine and that I was capable of handling everything.

The less rational section of my brain was shouting and urging me to make a run for it while I still could, so I could save myself from the pain that was bound to happen.

Oh lord, can I please just be with Aden right now instead of here. I have to summon every single God to help me get through this.

The last time I was here, just a week after I came to New York, I bursted out of the room a sobbing mess and ran all the way back to Aunt Claire's apartment. And let me just say, it took a long while to walk back on foot.

I gulped and pushed open the door to Doctor Miranda's office. I wasn't surprised to see her already sitting on her large chair by the couch.

Her office was a large one. Just like in the waiting area, the walls were mostly painted white, with some baby blue accents here and there. The walls were free of posters and pictures, unlike the waiting area.

The one thing I liked about her office though was the fact that it was large enough to hold more than just one couch. I could choose a variety of places to sit, the couch, the chair next to Doctor Miranda (who would choose that intentionally?), and a small one person couch closer to the door.

"It's nice to finally see you again Skyler," Doctor Miranda spoke with a kind smile on her lips. She had a soothing voice, just not when she was coercing me into talking about things I didn't want to.

I managed a smile, but it came out more like a grimace, "Yeah, so nice."

I took a seat on the large couch near Doctor Miranda, even though a large part of my brain was screaming at me to take the chair closer to the door for my convenience when I needed to make a break for it. Perhaps I could fall asleep on the couch while she was talking. That wouldn't be too bad. My shoulders remained taut and I crossed my legs over each other, shoving my hands between my lap.