Chapter 4

Nadia's P.O.V

------> Nadia's winter ball dance dress <33

Thump ... Thump... Thump

The rain kept falling down uncontrollably. I could hear it splash against my bedroom window. I saw as each raindrop, one by one, slid down the window to the ground.

The week had passed by in a blur. The same old usual stuff.  

School. 

Home. 

Homework. 

Diner. 

Sleep. 

Then repeat the whole process over again.

Last week I had gone out to buy a dress for the dance because my mother had made me. I had come home unsuccessful; I couldn't find a decent enough dress to wear. All they had was big puffy dresses which would be perfect for any girl my age. The thing was, I didn't like dresses, I hated, detested, them with a fierce and strong passion.

They just reminded me of shattered dreams and broken promises. I had seen way too many movies where there was a prince and a princess; they always ended up together happily ever after.

I hated the lies of it, how it portrayed as if life was all happy and that we always got what we wanted if we dreamed hard enough. Or better yet, wished upon a magical star that would grant you your heart's deepest desires.

Oh how I wished it was that easy.

When I was a young girl I loved to play dress up and pretend I was a princess, and that my knight in shining armor would come to me. 

But none of that ever happened, I waited and waited and no one ever came. All I got out of my childish games was to lose someone instead of gain.

I had lost him. My best friend. The guy I would of died for.

But we were just kids; it wasn't his fault or mine. He always played with me, he was my prince . He promised he would one day buy me a castle big enough for all my dresses to fit in and for our love to flourish. Oh how we planned a long life together. Not in a lover, boyfriend, partner, or spouse way, but a brother and sister way.  

He defended me, stoop up for me, and brought me joy.

The most heartbreaking day for me was that one day when he didn't go to school in our 5th grade, school year. 

I missed him that day badly, we always sticked together.  

That same day I was picked up early from school and taken to the hospital.

That’s when I saw him, in that dead and cold hospital bed motionless, lifeless. His expression was dull, but managed to smile once he saw me.

That's when he told me, he told me he had leukemia.

At first I didn't understand what that meant until his parents explained it to me.

When they told me he was close to dying, that day my heart became sunken and shattered into a million pieces. I began to cry hysterically, I screamed, shouted, punched. I did everything I could to take all my anger out. I didn't want to face the fact that I would never see him again, Markus, he was everything to me.

It was so bad I had to be sedated. Once I woke up I began to cry again in the comfort of my room.  

Every day for the following month I visited him. I brought my dresses and our toys to play Prince and Princess.