Chapter 11: Won't Go Down Easy (present)

PRESENT

I didn't tell anyone about the dead bird.

It had been weeks since then. Arisa went back to her apartment, and Byron arrived soon after. Everything was back to normal.

Arisa and I never kissed again after that first time. I wanted to tease her so damn bad about it. I had a hunch she was expecting me to mention it, too.

But after getting that nasty ass package, I didn't want her to get into the crossfire of whatever it was that was about to come.

So we had a silent agreement and pretended it didn't happen. But fuck me, if I didn't get a boner every time I saw her.

The threat still bugged me, though. I wanted to hunt down the fucker who was doing this, but I figured maybe that was what he wanted – to waste my time chasing a loose end.

I had no leads, and I sure as hell had no time to deal with this shit.

I had a difficult year ahead of me; having to balance law school and football. It was my last eligible year to play in the NCAA. I wanted to make it count. I still had to make up to Coach Saxon with that shit I pulled last year that ended me up in the hospital.

I welcomed the good distraction of the school year. I never thought I'd be this excited to go to class but there I was, one of the earliest to arrive in all our classes during the first week.

Aside from the cold calling and tons of readings assigned to us, it wasn't all that bad. Every single one of my classmates looked hungry to prove themselves. I wasn't sure I had their enthusiasm, but that could just be my nerves talking.

The professors didn't spare anyone. One girl cried when the professor grilled her and she couldn't answer. I thought one of the guys would even pee himself.

I sorta had to thank the Ordo for the initiation tests I went through. Nothing came close to that experience. Everything else paled in comparison.

I figured that as long as I didn't have any social life, I was confident I could balance law school and football.

"Why are you being weird?" Byron asked me suddenly, as we walked out of our Torts class.

I frowned. "The hell are you talking about?"

"You've been quiet lately."

I snorted. "Me? Quiet?"

"Toned down," he corrected.

I shrugged. "Just thinking about all the shit I have to do this year."

"Don't worry about it." He nodded and nudged me. "I got you."

He was equally busy this year, supervising the Ordo while doing his readings at the same time. And still, he offered to help me. I seriously didn't know what I did to deserve this guy.

"Right back at ya, man," I said, winking at him.

He shook his head in amusement. "We have a study group on Thursday. You think you can drop by after your practice?"

"Sure." Not like I had a life. "As long as you come to a party with me after the game this Saturday."

His nose wrinkled. "Frat party?"

"Yeah." I pursed my lips. "Most of my teammates will be there. It'll be a one time thing, I swear."

He studied my face. "I thought you said you didn't go to parties like that."