The First Day

On Monday morning, Adrien Agreste woke up with a smile on his face. Most students weren't as excited as he was for the first day of school. But he wasn't like most kids his age. After a lifetime of being homeschooled and locked up in his house, he was ecstatic to be able to escape the watchful eye of his overprotective father.

Going to school was his second favorite thing in the world to do. His favorite thing was jumping across the rooftops of Paris as his superhero alter-ego. He was one half of the amazing superhero duo of Ladybug and Chat Noir. Together they protected Paris from Hawkmoth and Mayura, supervillains who were determined to get ahold of their Miraculouses.

"Good morning," Adrien announced to his kwami Plagg, who gave him the power to transform into Chat Noir.

Plagg mumbled something unintelligible. School wasn't really his thing, he much preferred to eat, eat and eat some more.

Adrien happily got ready for school. Plagg begrudgingly hid in his shirt pocket as he went down for breakfast.

After he ate, he ran outside where his bodyguard, who he had nicknamed 'Gorilla,' was waiting to drive him to school. Being a rich popular model and the son of the famous fashion designer Gabriel Agreste, Adrien was stuck with his bodyguard escorting him everywhere he went.

Pulling up to the school, Adrien said a quick 'Thanks' to Gorilla and climbed out of the car. He quickly went inside and spotted his best friend Nino Lahiffe in the courtyard. Looking around for his other friends, he noticed a large group of girls around Marinette. She was sitting on one of the benches on the side of the room, and Alya had her hand on her shoulder.

Adrien walked up to Nino.

"Dude! You ready for another awesome year?" Nino asked.

"Yeah, definitely," Adrien replied, fistbumping his friend. He looked back over at the girls. "What's going on over there?"

"Oh," Nino said, his face changing. "I guess Luka broke up with Marinette over the weekend, so the girls are trying to cheer her up."

"You're kidding," Adrien said surprised. He always thought that Marinette and Luka made a great pair. They seemed so happy together. "That's horrible," he continued, talking to Nino. "She must be so upset."

At that moment the school bell rang and all the students made their way to their classes. Adrien and Nino took their seats in the front row as Marinette and Alya sat behind them. Alya was talking quietly to the blunette. He didn't want to interrupt them, but he did want to say hi.

"Hey Alya, hey Marinette," he said turning around.

Alya quickly said hi and smiled at him but Marinette kept her head down. She muttered out a weak "Hey."

Adrien hated seeing his friend so upset but he wasn't sure what to say to make her feel better. He turned back around to face the front of the classroom.

Although he was happy to be at school again, Adrien didn't really enjoy his first day back. He was too concerned about Marinette. She was always so wonderful to everyone around her, always so kind and smart, and sweet and caring. Yeah, she was a little kooky at times, not to mention super clumsy, but that was all part of her charm.

As they sat in Ms. Bustier's class again at the end of the day, Adrien decided that he needed to say something to Marinette to cheer her up. He knew that she would do the same for him.

When the final bell rang, he turned in his seat to speak to her. "Hey Marinette, I'm really sorry to hear about you and Luka."

She looked up at him. "Oh, th... thanks Adrien," she said quietly as she gathered her things.

Adrien stayed sitting as the other students around him got up and left the room. As Marinette got up from her seat, he also stood. "Are you okay?" he asked her.

She seemed surprised that he was still there. "Oh I, uh... fine. I mean, I'm fine," she said, avoiding his gaze.

Adrien moved up next to her and gave her a big hug. Marinette's heart started racing and her face turned bright red. Moving back, Adrien said "You know, I'll always be here for you Marinette."

She looked up at his gorgeous green eyes. "You will?" she asked, breathlessly.

"Yeah of course. What are friends for?"

Marinette's heart sank. She fought back the tears forming in her eyes. "Right," she said, her voice cracking.

Adrien looked at her. She still looked upset. He had been hoping to cheer her up but it didn't seem to be working. "Are you sure that you're okay?"

Marinette nodded quickly. "Yeah," she whispered.

He didn't want to leave, but he knew that his bodyguard was waiting for him outside. "Well I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow," she whispered.

Adrien took one last look at her and then turned around and left the room.

Marinette slowly lowered herself down into her seat. She was all alone in the classroom. Her kwami, Tikki, flew out of her purse and saw the tears fall down her Chosen's face. "Marinette," the kwami said, sympathetically.

"Oh Tikki," Marinette cried, "I need to get over this stupid crush on Adrien. He's never going to return my feelings, and now it's even ruined another relationship for me. I can't keep doing this to myself."

"I'm so sorry Marinette," Tikki said, hugging Marinette's cheek.