Chapter 26

Guess who’s back?  

Chelsea’s P.O.V.

            I twirled the now empty cup in my hand and nervously bit my lip. Looking around the café, I took in the people and the scents and the dark painted walls as I anxiously waited for him. He should be here by now, I thought. The sound of a bell tinkling made my head snap to the entrance and felt the coffee coming back up.

            His dark eyes searched the café and lit up when they landed on my form. A bright smile crossed his face and he confidently walked across past the tables of swooning girls. I took a moment to study his form clad in dark jeans, a blue hoodie, and basketball sneakers. His head was covered in a beanie. He pulled out a chair and sat down across from me. “Hey Chelsea.”

            I cringed, hating my name coming out of his mouth and not someone else’s who I still pathetically longed for. “Hi Josh.”

            Josh sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “How—“

            “Cut the chase and just tell me what you’re here for.”

            Josh sighed again but then looked in my eyes with an intense look. “I want you back.”

            I scoffed, leaning back into my chair and crossing my arms. “Please, don’t you think it’s a little late for that?”

            “I know, I know,” Josh started, “But I just can’t seem to forget about you. I can’t seem to forget about us.” He takes my hand in his. “I can’t forget the times we spent together; the cute dates, the amazing lunch periods, you’re beautiful smile. I can’t.”

            My eyes started watering again. To be honest, I missed those too. But not even as close to how much I miss the moments with Harry. Before I knew it, I was sobbing in Josh’s arms. I didn’t know why. Maybe it was because Harry just left me in pieces and Josh was saying things that I wanted to hear from Harry. Maybe I was just using Josh right now as a source of comfort. Maybe because everything Josh was doing to win me back was what I desperately wanted Harry to do. To win me back. To stop this pain.

 But even as I clutched onto Josh’s shirt, it felt wrong. It felt so wrong. But I didn’t let go. Not when Josh lifted me bridal style and walked me out of the café. Not when he placed me in his car and drove me home. Not even when he gently placed me in my bed and tucked me in.

            My eyes were drooping shut and the world around me was slowly loosing focus. I could barely make out what Josh was saying before I completely passed out. “You’re mine now Chelsea and no one is ever going to take you away from me again.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            My eyes opened groggily when I heard a rustle in my room. Turning my head to the right, I saw that the time was only around 3 in the morning. I groaned a bit and the movement stopped. My eyes were about to shut again when I saw a blurry face in front of me. My bed sank a little as they sat down next to me. Their large hands gently stroked my cheek and ran through my hair, making it harder and harder for me to stay awake.

            One of the person’s hands slipped down, tracing my arm and I could faintly hear them sharply take in a breath. Not soon after, soft sobs followed and their hands began shaking. Why were they crying? A person with such gentle hands, such gentle gestures, was crying because of me? I wanted to reach out, to hold the person and tell them not to cry. But I couldn’t. Because by the time I thought of something to do, I fell back asleep.