Chapter 14

10k Special Chapter
Rei Accidentally Meets Dabi (26 votes)

Rei really needed to get out of the house. Yes, she loved her children and the fact that Enji was being so hands-on with them but all the movie nights and craft days were suffocating her. She needed a breath of fresh air and some alone time. And that's what she was going to do. She set aside a single Sunday afternoon and after writing thorough instructions on a piece of paper and happy hugs she was finally out of the house after weeks.

She was walking towards the park when she saw a familiar cafe on the side of the road and suddenly she was hit with a ray of nostalgia. She remembered finding that cafe and loving their rose tea and chiffon cakes and soon she was a regular at this pretty little cafe. She slowly entered the cafe and was hit with the smell of coffee brews and a sweet lemony smell. She was about to go to a seat when someone called out to her.

"Ah, Rei-san! "
"Sana-chan it's been a while hasn't it"
"Hai it's been a while," said Sana.

Sana was a petite young girl who worked as one of the waiters in the cafe. She had strawberry blonde hair that was pulled into a cute bun with braids on the sides. (It was the style all of the girls in the cafe wore) she had tan skin and green eyes that shined with mischief. Her most notable feature. As she remembered Sana was the regular waiter that served her. She remembered talking to her sometimes.

"So the regular seat right Rei-san? "
"Yes," She answered her.

She was soon led to a little nook in the back by the floor-length windows. The area was blocked off by different plants of various heights which gave a sense of privacy. She sat down and ordered her usual. Lemon-rose tea and Chiffon Cake. Sitting in the seat she felt extremely nostalgic. Memories of sitting in this same seat surrounded by her children filled her mind. But the thought of one child overpowered the others. She used to come here with Touya at least twice a week. Whenever things got intense at home this was where she escaped with him. She remembered him sitting opposite of her eating a cheesecake smile on his face. She remembered how he scrunched up his face in disgust when he first tried the tea but slowly and steadily how it grew on him and soon he was also an avid tea drinker like her.

That's when she realized just how long it had been since she had contacted him. It pained her to realize that she hadn't sent him anything in the past 6 months. Usually, she sent him a care package every month with a letter inside. And every time Touya sent her a thank you note. It was just a card with a scribble but still, she was happy. She decided she was going to write him a letter and sent something extra nice to him. She called a waitress and purchased one of the cards they had for tourists and quickly began writing her letter.

Dear Touya,
It's me, Mama. I know it's been a while since I've last written to you. There has been a lot going on in these past months. I lost my memories about 6 months ago but don't worry I'm alright now!. You have another little brother now we named him shoto. He has dual-colored hair. One side is red and another white. He also has Heterochromia so his eyes are also different. The most surprising thing that happened was-

She paused when she heard someone clear their throat. Looking up she found a boy holding a cup of tea standing over her. He was quite young. She predicted he was a teenager. He had black hair and wore a full sleeve turtle neck. He also had a huge bandage near his under eyes and also several on his hands. The most striking feature was his blue eyes which made her feel as though she recognized them from somewhere.

"Yes? " She asked him
"Um... I was just asking if the seat was taken... And if I could sit here" He said awkwardly rubbing the back of his head.

Looking over Rei saw that the Whole cafe was full. Looks like rush hour had come early. "Yes the seats empty you can sit here"

The boy just gave her a small and awkward smile as he sat down in front of her. They both sat there quietly sipping their tea but Rei decided to break the ice by talking to him. "So how old are you?"

"I'm 13 " The boy answered sheepishly
"Aren't you a bit too young to be here alone where are your parents?" He asked

The boy was quiet for a moment as if thinking bout something as he said "naw my house is just across the street so my parents usually let me come here alone especially since my dad knows the people who work here" He said.

After that, they both engaged in small talk and talked for a while.
"Who're you writing a letter to? " He asked pointing at the letter that lay forgotten beside her cup.
"I'm writing a letter to my oldest son Touya"
The boy looked genuinely surprised after hearing this but she didn't know why.

"Why are you writing him a letter? " He asked his voice cracking a bit but rei didn't think too much of it because the boy was a teenager and voice cracking was usual at this age.

"Well he goes to a boarding school and so I write him a letter to inform him about what's going on here and to learn about how he's doing though he doesn't reply very much"

"H.. E doesn't?" The boy asks his voice cracking again. Rei passed him some water and said
"drink some water it should help you, but yes. He doesn't write much but I still write to him even if he doesn't reply much, because I love him" She said

"If you loved him. Then why did you send him to a boarding school? Aren't there better schools here? " He asked quietly almost in a whisper.

"I didn't want to send him there. My husband." She paused "wasn't a very good man back then and thought that this was the only choice left. I tried to stop him but in the end, I couldn't stop it. Trust me there isn't a time I don't regret it" She said solemnly

The boy too become extremely quiet almost as of he was thinking very hard.his shoulders trembling and twitching but Rei didn't notice that. Suddenly he stood up surprising rei. He looked into her eyes and gulped. "I'm sorry but it's getting late so I must be leaving," He said, rei just nodded at him. Just when he was out of the nook Rei called out again.

"Hey, I didn't get your name. I'm Rei, by the way, I hope to see you again!" She said

The boy's eyes widened and looked like he was going to hesitate but he breathed in slowly almost as if calming himself and said, "I... My name... My name is Dabi" He said running out of the door as fast as he could leaving an extremely surprised rei in her wake. Tears streaming down her face and fell down on her forgotten letter.

_______________________________________

I'm so sorry about the late update guys (T_T). I tried to write but I had major writer's block. I literally had to force myself to even write this much. My online classes are starting tomorrow and so chapter updates might be a bit late (please forgive me)

                                       Neferaskingdom