•C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n•

Dedicated to clairie_ace

Song for chapter fourteen: There For You by Martin Garrix and Troy Sivan

|Skyler|

The weekend came and went swiftly, within a blink of an eye. I mostly spent it in my room studying, doing homework and grocery shopping for Aunt Claire. She had barely been home since she was in charge of a new case. That made it easier for me to dispose of my antidepressants without her knowing. To my surprise, sleep came easily for the last couple of days, my thoughts were plagued with school and sometimes Aden, rather than my mom.

When I did catch myself thinking of her trapped between the car and the truck, I let myself. I deserved to feel this way. Those episodes surprisingly didn't last long though.

In chemistry, other than handing in our project, Mr. Carter hit us with two lessons and I had no time to even chat with Aden most of the time since he gave us the honour of talking until the bell.We only exchanged smiles on the way out of the class since Josie dragged me away before I could say anything else.

That wasn't even the most annoying thing. What took the cake must have been the fact that the elevator that had broken down while Aden and I were on it was still closed off. Apparently Principal Webber was considering completely taking it out, which I wholeheartedly disagreed with. Hiking up four flights of stairs to get to a class did not sound appealing. 

"Okay so we can get ready at my place and we'll be able to meet Paige and Esther at the ball," Josie said as she chewed on a fry.

"Yeah that sounds like a plan," I nodded.

Now, as I sat at lunch with Josie — since Esther and Paige both went off campus to McDonald's— I stared at Aden's table where he sat with Ryan and two other guys I didn't know. Only this time, they weren't alone. There were a whole flock of girls around them. One was the familiar blonde that was at Aden's car the other day when he drove me to his place.

My mouth twitched downwards at the sight in front of me and I rolled my eyes. Josie glanced behind her to see what I'd been looking at and chuckled, a knowing look plastered all over her face.

"What's so funny about that?" I mumbled.

"I've seen the same thing happen last year," Josie said, rolling her eyes. "Basically it's that time of the year. Soccer season is starting soon, and they all want to get Aden's jersey for the last game. Not only that, the first dance is coming up at the end of the week."

"Why his jersey? What's so special about his?" I grumbled, frowning. If Josie was right, he still hadn't asked me yet. The thought of him giving his jersey to anyone else made my stomach drop. Which didn't make much sense to me since we weren't even together. And for all we knew, he wasn't even going to the masquerade ball.