9. Deaths & Wills

Late in the evening, Zainab and Hooriya were sitting in the lawn. Busy eating their kheer (a sweet dish famous in South Asia). They were busy discussing family problems and taking out problems from everyone. The latest gossip had been the rejection of Sajid by Mahrukh. Zainab was not fond of this. She wanted the girl out of the house as soon as possible. The spring evening was too beautiful for such malicious thoughts. The sky was a shade of burned orange mixed with the smallest hints of pink. The stars were beginning to show. The air had a feeling of serenity and contentment. The spring air was breezy and the scents of Jasmines with a slight undertone of roses tickled their nostrils. This moment of peace was destroyed by the running of their servant. Angered at the sudden disturbance they asked the young boy in a haughty tone
"Baaji... baaji.. baray sahab is not waking up he is being taken to the hospital!"
(Sister elder sir is not waking up)

Zainab felt that the floor had slipped from under her feet. Her father. She did not understand what happened after that as she ran out of the lawn and into her father's room. However he had already been taken to the hospital by all  the men. Meanwhile, the ladies were sitting on his bed crying. Zainab unable to control her screams, screamed at all of them
"HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?"
Mahrukh, who had been the one to discover her grandfather in that state replied
"I brought dada jaan his tea. But he was not replying. When I touched his pulse, I could not feel it-"
(Grandfather)
Hearing those words, Zainab fell on the floor with a thud. Amal ran to her mom. She was feeling sad for her mother. Zainab had been a prideful woman but today she had crumbled.

Most of the starry night was spent by all of them in Sahir's room. Praying for a miracle. Around 3 am, they heard a car coming in. The ran to the door and saw an ambulance was following the car. As soon as Ajmal had come out of the car, he had been faced by a thousand questions. And all he could do was nod his head in a no. And everyone understood that the old man had passed away.

Mahrukh felt her heart crack. Her grandfather had been a perfect man. He had gone to soon. The last thing he said to her was that he would dance at her wedding. The death had shattered her. She had some hope eventhough deep down like everyone else she knew the truth. Moving out of the living room, where the deas body had been placed, she went to Akbar's room to ask him
"B--bhai how---"
she could not even finish her words before she began to cry hysterically. Akbar understood her words.
"He had a seizure".
Mahrukh cried even harder in his chest. Why had he been taken away? The rest of the night went by fastly.

In the morning, all the neighbours and distant relatives had arrived. The living room had been stripped of its furniture and a white blanket had been laid on the floor. Mahrukh and Zainab had been inconsolable. Zainab wept for her father while the former for her grandfather. Mahrukh's mother had to force feed her a few morsels before she began preparing for the funeral.

Saad, Akram and Ajmal were heartbroken but kept a firm hold on their hearts and emotions. They knew one day everyone had to go. They were just glad that their father had been a pious man and he would definitely go to heaven if Allah willed. The only guilt they stored in their hearts was that they had not spent enought time with him.

Zain along with Akbar and Faheel was busy in getting the preparations for the funeral done. At Zuhr, they were supposed to take the body to the Masjid where the funeral prayer would be performed.

As the body of Sahir Sahab was placed in the lounge for the women to see, they grabbed onto the feet of the bed and cried. Telling him to wakeup. The body was cold. The once lively face was pale. His hands lay on his chest and Mahrukh kissed them before the men came to take the body.

Once the burial had been done, the calm weather changed. The calm winds became harsh and strong. The clear sky, turnee grey and dark. The hot day became cold as harsh rain pelted on the mud. The skies were mourning the death of the man it seemed. Thunder shook the windows of the mighty house. Yet no one seemed to care. Everyone was indulged in their grief that the weather or the surroundings seemed to not matter anymore.

The next morning, the weather had still not changed as everyone made their way to the segregated living room for the qul (after the funeral, on the next day, Muslims hold a ceremony where the people read the Quran and pray for the forgiveness of the deceased) of Sahir. Light whispers of prayers and mercy for the deceased seemed to join together into one unanimous large echo. Their voices reverted from the walls falling back into their ears. Mahrukh was a bit better today. She had come to terms with the loss. And knew that when one goes one comes. It is the way the world works. No one is permanent. But still the fear was deeprooted. The fear that anyone could be snatched of their next breathe in mere seconds.

○~○

A few days had passed since the death of the patriarch. He was deeply missed. Everyone had been depressed since he passed away. The pain in their hearts and the hole that had been made could never be filled. When the family would sit down to eat, their stomachs would be filled but a part of them would remain forever empty. But they were grateful. They still had each other. Sure it would take time but they knew they would get over it.

The family was having their evening tea when a man wearing a black suit entered the room. Paying his salaams to the family he asked the men to speak to him in private. The man, who revealed himself to be the lawyer of Sahir, told them that he had come to solve the issue about the will.

"Listen Mr.Butt, you guys' father was pretty clear minded when he had me write down this will. It reads that all of you are to get your shares of the business as intended. The new head will be Mr.Zain Akmal Butt. Secondly his properties. He has left the house we are currently in to his grand daughter Mahrukh. And the villa in Lahore to Mr&Mrs. Saad Butt."
The man then revealed to them the peice of paper that held these words. The me nodded their heads and took him outside in order to sign the papers.

"Mahrukh come here,"
Saad called his only child. Ruahing she came to him and asked what the matter was.
"I need you to sign this piece of paper," nodding her head without asking any questions she signed the paper. It was only then that the lawyer cleared his throat and proceeded to reveal the entire will to the family.

Zainab and Hooriya were furious. Zainab felt as if she was the one that deserved the home. But it could not change what had been written by her father. Sahir had felt very guilty during his lifetime seeing the shorthand that had been dealt to his youngest son. And in death he wanted to solve his problems. Giving the estates to them was a way to ensure that no one could kick them out of the house.

○~○

A week had passed since the lawyer had come. All the paper work had been dealt with and Zain began his job as the CEO and head director of their company. With Akbar being Co-CEO and Faheel was announced to be head of marketing. Fahad was made the head of PR.

Eventhough no one said it out loud, it was clear that the attitude of Zainab and Hooriya had changed with Mahrukh. They would always pass snide remarks about her being the head of the household. And how she was incapable of leading it. Mahrukh never paid attention to them instead she worked tirelessly to ensure that the house ran like a well oiled machine. Her parents and Aliya Tayi and Akmal Taya had helped her on every step.

Amna had become more bitter with her and that had also led to Akbar and Amna having a more strained relationship. All Mahrukh could do was to pray that all will soon be fine.

○~○