Salvation

A/N: I'm sorry I've been so inactive lately, I've just had a lot on my mind lately, and it's been kinda hard to process it all, but hopefully I won't have to survive much longer.

This oneshot was requested by @wendyguardiansofgf. I've changed a little bit, but the concept's the same, and I hope you'll all like it. Before you read this please know, that I have no experiences with deafness or defective hearing whatsoever, so my knowledge is very little. I am by no means making fun of anyone's who's deaf or hard of hearing or claiming that I know how it feels. None of these are my opinions, they're purely for the storyline, and aren't meant to be taken seriously or personally in any way. I just needed to make that clear. Despite this being a little different from, what I normally do, I hope you'll still find it interesting and enjoy it. It's also been quite a while, since I've written a story in third person, which I'm excited about.

🦋🦋🦋

Betty was walking down the hallway as quickly as she could, praying not to run into anyone. The classroom was only a few meters away, and she was practically running at that point. Of course with her luck she bumped into someone, just as she reached the door.

„I'm sorry" she mumbled slowly looking up at the person in front of her. It was a boy, she had never seen before. He had dark, almost black, curly hair and his eyes, even though mostly green, had a little blue in them. On top of his head, he was wearing a grey crown-shaped beanie.

He must be new, she thought to herself before letting out a sigh of relief. He said something, and even though she'd gotten quite good at lip reading, she didn't really feel like talking, and so she quickly looked down before walking past him into the class.

As Betty walked through the door, she could feel everyone's eyes on her. She quickly walked to the back of the room placing herself beside the window. The teacher eventually came, and the lesson started. Even though she couldn't read everything, he was saying, she was able to understand most of it.

The teachers always made sure to speak a little louder, when Betty was in the room, which would be helpful, if she didn't always insist on sitting in the back. It wasn't like she was completely deaf. When wearing her hearing aid, she could almost hear everything. The only problem was she didn't like using it, since it made her feel different, which she didn't like.

People would almost always mock her and make fun of her, when she was wearing them, saying things like 'hearing aids are for old people' or sometimes even go as far as calling her grandma or old lady. Not very original or even the slightest bit creative, but still hurtful.

Ever since her accident, people have treated her completely different. Before she was almost invisible, no one ever paying attention to her. She did expect the accident to change how people looked at her, but she was dumb enough to think, they'd feel bad for her or even pity her.

The only person, who'd always acted the same around her, was Cheryl. Cheryl Blossom, head of the cheerleaders and for some unknown reason the most popular girl in school. She'd always kind of hated Betty, and her and her minions had bullied her ever since they were in 7th grade.

Cheryl wasn't the worst one though, the football team were, more specifically Chuck Clayton, always picking on her and commenting on her every move. It was like, he was determined to make her life a living hell and most of the time, he succeeded.

Within long the bell rang, which was one of the few things, she could still hear. She slowly began gathering her things, when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to see their English teacher standing behind her. „The principal wants to speak with you" she said. She must've been almost shouting, since Betty could almost hear every word.

She nodded and grabbed her bag before leaving. On her way to the principals office, she wondered, what he had to talk to her about. Were her grades getting bad? Or did he just want to check on her? For a second her mind also passed Chuck, even though she doubted, that was, what he wanted to talk about.

As she turned the corner, she spotted Cheryl and a couple of other cheerleaders glaring at her. She could see her rolling her eyes, before turning back to whatever conversation, they were having before. Betty quickly walked past them into the office, as she felt their eyes drilling into her back.

As she walked through the door, she saw the principal talking to someone. As they turned around, she noticed, it was the raven-haired guy from earlier. „Miss Cooper" principal Weatherbee greeted her. He lead them towards his office and motioned for them to sit down.

„You're probably wondering why I've asked you here" he said looking at her, and she slowly nodded. „This is Jughead, he just moved here and will be attending our school from now on. Betty here is on of our best students" he continued looking at the boy beside her.

„And so I was wondering if you could help him a little? You know get to the right classes, homework, that sort of stuff" he asked looking expectantly at her. She was quiet for a little while, debating whether or not she should agree. She thought for a few seconds before finally nodding her head. „Great, I think you two will get along very well" Weatherbee said, and she nodded again before leaving, Jughead following closely behind her.

After a while she stopped at a door, and turned around to look at him. "This is the newspaper, the blue and gold" Betty said walking into the room. It was old and dusty, since it wasn't cleaned very often. "I actually run this place, so I was thinking we could meet and talk in here" she said looking around the room, she had spent so much of her time in. Jughead nodded.

„I'm sorry I bumped into you earlier" Jughead said, as they sat down. „No worries" Betty said not really used to getting apologies. She had to really concentrate to hear, what he was saying, as he wasn't speaking very loud. It was nice to actually hear someone apologise for their behaviour towards her, even though it wasn't exactly his fault. She smiled a little to herself, a new, warm feeling taking over her body.

„Are you the only writer?" he asked her, and she scrunched her eyebrows trying to read, what he was saying. He looked at her in confusion, and just as quickly as the feeling had occurred, it disappeared. He opened his mouth to say something, but she cut him off. „And before you ask, no I'm not deaf. My hearing is defective, which means I can hear a few words but not all. I'm able to read most of, what people are saying, and so I can understand a lot" she explained, but he still seemed a little confused.

„And yes, I can still talk, and I wasn't born with it. About two years ago I was in an accident, which caused me to lose most of my hearing. I was in the hospital for over a month, before they finally let me go home. Although I only started school again a little over a year ago" she finished, and he looked at her with sorrow in his eyes.

„You probably don't really care, I should just stop talking about it" she said shaking her head a little. „No, I do. Actually my sister's deaf" Jughead said, and she could hear the sadness in his voice. „Oh, I'm sorry" she said already regretting, she brought it up. „It's okay. She was born with it. It's just hard, you know" he said, and she nodded knowing exactly, what he meant.

For a moment their eyes met. Her two emerald green ones met his ocean green ones. And for a moment, just for a moment, everything was forgotten. It didn't take long though, before they were abruptly pulled back into reality. The pleasant silence suddenly became uncomfortable, and Betty cleared her throat. „We should probably go through your schedule now" she said, and Jughead nodded clearly also a little uncomfortable.

🦋🦋🦋

A/N: I wasn't really planning on this being two parts, but it suddenly became too long to fit into one. I will try and get the second part up as quickly as possible, though I'm not sure, how long that'll be. I also had no idea, what to call this, so 'salvation' will have to do. I hope you're all staying safe and well. (1262 words)

With that being said, I will not try to avoid the subject that is currently going on in the world. By that I mean the Black Lives Matter movement. I just don't feel like I'm the right person to talk about it. Though I'm so glad, so many people are speaking up about this. I myself, as a teenager living outside of the US, found it hard to help and didn't really know, what to do, but luckily Instagram was there to enlighten me. The important thing is to keep spreading awareness and do whatever you can to help and support. This isn't a trend and serious actions need to be taken.