Denial

© 2014 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

The air was sucked out of me in a span of two seconds, leaving me breathless.

Was I the daughter of the Anosovas?

I clearly remembered Castor showing me their image on Spain's newspaper, of the mother and her triplets along with the father. But what was the title of that paper? The search for Katya Anosova continues?

"How is that possible?" I managed to speak as Stark helped me up on shaky legs.

"You were kidnapped, Missus." the butler said. "When you were three, you were kidnapped."

"What day?" I questioned.

"New Years, Missus."

Tears pricked my eyes. My birthday.

"But that isn't right- why didn't you search for me? Find me?"

The butler's coattails flickered in the winter breeze that blew by. "The Anosova family, including the staff, put all our effort into finding you: but our connections only stretched so far. The other royals did not see it as a problem since your father still had three successors to choose from-"

"My brothers." I filled in.

His eyes lightened. "You remember now?"

I shook my head, "No. They were on the newspaper that I read in Spain."

Stark's head snapped back as he scanned the woods. "We are not alone. Head back to Kendra's. I'll meet you there in a moment."

He gently nudged me, steadying a glare on the butler. "If harm comes to her, I am holding you accountable."

The butler smiled softly before his arm shot out and a knife made a beeline to Stark's face. Without looking back, he caught it in his hand, blood dripping down his arm from this closed fist.

"Apparently, Mr.Xerxes, you are the one in need of being held accountable in case those creatures reach us." straightening his lapels, he held his arm out for me to slip my hand through as we walked back on the trail to Kendra's.

"Your posture is lacking," he noted. "When you were a child, you could do spins along a straight line with three books on your head."

I snorted, "Yeah? Well my childhood was filled with cutting through books, not balancing them."

"Who were you with, Missus?"

"The Michaelis family." I answered, pushing past a branch from my vision as we continued upward, out of the public park and into Kendra's backyard.

Lorena stood with her arms crossed, her red heel flashing as she turned to us, a relieved look on her heart shaped face. “Oh, thank goodness. Have you seen Iris? The Moon Goddess should be returning her body soon.”

“No, I’m sorry-”

“Who are you?” Lorena’s gaze became steely-eyed, reminding me of Stark.

The old man bowed, “I am Evgeny, head butler of the Anosovas.”

Her chin tilted a fraction, her eyes narrowed the slightest. “Aren’t the Anosovas based in Russia?”

He straightened up, his hands by his side as he addressed Lorena again, “You are correct. However certain circumstances have called nearly all of the royal families to meet in Sicily.”

“Who sent you?”

“Isn’t it obvious? The Moon Goddess requested for the royal familes to meet in Sicily, at this very spot, I believe.”