𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

Emma tossed and turned, trying desperately to get comfortable. No luck. She groaned and grabbed her phone. The bright light burned her eyes as she checked the time. 12:27. Ugh. Maybe James was awake, she thought.

She decided to give him a call. He picked up on the second ring. "Can't sleep?" He knew her so well. Emma giggled, "Not at all." she heard him moving around in the background, "Get ready. I'll be there in 10." She smiled to herself, "Okay."

She hung up and jumped out of bed, pulling on her ripped skinny jeans and a band tee. Emma put on a touch of lip gloss and brushed out her long brown hair. A few minutes later there was a knock at the door.

"Hey," she greeted James as he pulled her in for a hug. Emma giggled as he picked her up and twirled her around. "Where are we heading tonight," she asked when he finally put her down.

"You'll see," he smirked. She smiled slyly and poked him, "So mysterious." He pretended to be hurt, "Ouch. I'm very sensitive."

Emma rolled her eyes and got in his car. He turned the radio up and rolled the windows down. The stars shone overhead as they made their way down the highway.

They could see the twinkling lights of the city in the distance. James glanced over at her, checking her out not so discreetly. Emma smirked and placed a hand on his leg, moving it higher and higher. He bit his lip and tried to ignore her. She laughed and removed her hand.

"So, can you tell me where we are going?" He shrugged, "Nowhere in particular." Just then the bright lights of the city came into view. The tall buildings rose up around you. James pulled over and parked.

"Come on. We are going on a little walk." He came over and opened her door. "Why thank you, kind sir," she laughed.

He smiled and took her hand, leading her up the street.

The sidewalk was crowded with people heading into the many clubs that lined the street. Emma gripped James' hand tightly so she wouldn't get lost in the sea of people.

The crowd eventually thinned the further down the street they walked. "I could get used to this," she muttered. James laughed, "Please don't. I need my sleep." she slapped his arm playfully.

He kissed the top of her head, gently. "I'm just kidding. You know I'd do anything to make you happy." Emma grinned and laid her head on his shoulder.

They walked in silence until they came to a small café. James stopped her and pulled her close. Music hummed softly from the outdoor speakers. "Dance with me." Emma laughed, not thinking he was serious.

"Dance," he twirled her around, "with me." she looked around at the empty streets. Why not. She locked her hands behind his neck as his hands found her waist. Emma laid her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

James swayed back and forth gently, spinning her around occasionally.

"You are some casanova," she whispered, laughing lightly. "So I've been told," he said, spinning her around one more time as the song came to an end.

Neither of them moved. They stood there in silence. But it wasn't awkward. It was peaceful. "You are so beautiful," James' voice snapped her from her thoughts. She felt herself blush profusely. "I don't know how I got so lucky," he continued.

~~~~

"I'm kinda hungry. Let's go in and grab something to eat." Emma suggested as she gave James' hand a squeeze.

"Okay," James replied and walked into the cafe hand-in-hand with Emma.

They took a seat at the booth in the corner of the cafe. A waitress came to them and gave them the menu. "So, kids what'll be?" she asked as she flipped her little notepad and prepared to take their orders.