20 - Mean Girl

"Pumpkin? Hello, anyone here?"

Dad's fingers snapped in front of my vacant gaze, effectively interrupting my daydreaming about sheepish grins and snubbed noses. I glanced at the coconut agar-agar jelly he was handing me, then at the clock above the television, and pushed the dessert plate away. "No, thanks. I gotta work on something."

Amy's plea reached me on the staircase. "Can I have your share?"

"Be my guest," I shouted back, before closing my door.

For nearly three weeks, I had procrastinated polishing my Creative Writing homework in order to advance the Pride and Prejudice plot, and get closer to seeing Darcy again--just a couple of chapters, and he would arrive at Rosings. Completing my assignment should take two, three hours tops, meaning I could squeeze it in tomorrow, right before the deadline.

Burying the guilt in the back of my mind, I stuck the Bridge on my temple, then groaned, annoyed at the notification that popped.

Update 15.10c:
* Custom ads

The maintenance task took a split second, and before I could curse the InfiCorp technical team, I was sitting in a carriage, and fighting against transportation sickness by conjuring the memories of Theo's pranks.

"Lizzy, what is the reason behind this naughty smile of yours?" Mrs. Bennet squinted at me from the opposite seat.

I repressed an even wider grin at the thought of her reaction. What would my dear mother reply to the recounting of Theo's foolish behaviour?

When the family had announced the engagement of Mary and Mr. Collins to the Lucases, Theo had dived in Sir William's shell and repeated "Capital, capital!" all dinner long. Charles had arched a brow when I had choked on my pea soup, while Jane had gently patted my back.

At Christmas, I had been thrilled to meet the Gardiners, and overjoyed to discover them under Auntie Chantrea and Uncle Wade's appearance: this meant their kids had been loaded into the game too.

After the new year, Mary had become Mrs. Collins, and Theo had slipped into her husband's shoes to dance at their wedding. I was still flabbergasted by his complete lack of moves--the real Mr. Collins was Billy Elliot in comparison. After the ceremony, the Gardiners had whisked Jane away to London to mend her broken heart.

When February had unfolded, Mr. Denny had "inadvertently" shoved Wickham in a ditch. Oh, the commotion caused by Theo had been a wonderful sight. Lydia had squealed and pushed poor Denny into the icy water to save her beloved Wickham, while Kitty had wrung her hands in despair for two feet of mud. I had stood on the road, plastering my best distressed-face as the explanation had materialised.

That's for disdaining Lizzy to run after an heiress, you knob head.

And yesterday, Theo had donned Mr. Bennet's costume to wish his wife and me a pleasant journey. He had bid his spouse goodbye with exaggerated lamentations, which she had taken to heart and wept about until noon, when our chaise had reached Gracechurch Street.

While Mrs. Bennet had wailed to the Gardiners how much her dear husband would miss her and the disorderliness she was expecting to find her home in after returning, I had showered Jane with love and affection. The weeks she had spent away from Hertfordshire, and the cold shoulder Caroline had given her in London, had helped her overcome the hurt of Bingley's desertion.

The four of us had then entered the elegant town house, and I had craned my neck to spot Jarod and Grace amongst the many children awaiting on the staircase. One by one, they had offered a cheek for me to kiss until my real cousins had appeared. Jarod had been sporting a sky-blue skeleton suit, and was watching over his little sister while the latter was scooting down the stairs on her bottom. Needless to say, I had swooned from an overdose of cuteness.