Chapter 38 - 'Alec is calling'

Luke's POV

I had just gotten home from work, and to say I was happy is an understatement. Not only I kept my job but also I'm finally going to work comfortably.

"Hey, Luke. We're in the kitchen, come here and tell us how it went" I heard Ash shout when I stepped inside the house.

I made my way to the kitchen, seeing them drink champagne happily and feeding each other strawberries. What...?

"What is happening?" I asked confused, letting out a chuckle. "Care to stop showing your love like this in front of someone that's single? That's very rude"

Ali showed me her hand grinning, ignoring what I just said. Is that...?

"Oh my god! Did this just happen? What the hell??!" I shouted excitedly. "You are really getting married? When?"

They both let out a laugh at my reaction and right as Ash was about to speak I hit her arm.

"Ouch, what was that for?"

"You could have waited for me to come home to propose" I said pouting.

"You couldn't be here. We celebrated after... and not drinking champagne, if you know what I mean" Ash said and I looked at her wide-eyed.

"Too much information. I didn't need to know that"

"Babe, don't traumatize him" Ali said, letting out a chuckle.

"Anyways, to answer your questions. Yes, we are getting married" Ash said, looking at Ali cutely and pecking her lips right before continuing to speak. They're very cute, will I ever have something as beautiful as what they have? "And, as to when, our plan is to do it after the world cup, probably by the end of the year"

"I'm so happy for you" I said and went to hug them. "Congratulations"

"Aw, thank you Luke" Ali said.

"Thank you little bro" Ash said, kissing my forehead before ending the hug. "Now, you tell us. How did it go at work? Did you quit?"

Oh, true. We haven't talked about that yet.

"I didn't quit" I said and they looked at me confused. "I came out to my boss and he was okay with it"

"That's great, Luke" Ash said. "But still, you are coming with us to the world cup, right? why didn't you quit? are you not coming?"

"Calm down Ash. Of course I'm going. But he said he's going to hire someone to replace me and once I'm back I can go back there to work" I explained to them.

"That's great. He must really like how you work if he's doing that" Ali said and I nodded. If only they knew.

My phone made a noise, indicating I had received a message and I quickly looked at it.

Mal: Heey, are you back home already? I'm available for that call any time now.

Me: Yess, give me a minute and I'm all yours ;)

Mal: Great ;)

"Anyways, I'll go to my room now. Let me know when dinner's ready" I said and quickly made my way to my room.

Right as I was about to press the button to call Mal a name came up on my screen, Alec. He was calling me.

Do I answer? I know he went looking for me at the store but I don't know what he wanted...

Fuck. I don't know what to do.

After a few seconds he stopped calling so I quickly went and texted Mal.

Me: Hey, I have to help Ali with something but once I'm done I'll call you, sorry!

Mal: No problem! Tell her I say hi, I hope she's doing well :)

She's adorable. I don't want to lie to her ever again.

I went to my contacts and looked at his name. Do I call him? I should, right? Or not. Fuck it, I don't want to talk to him right now.

Right at that moment, a call came up again on my screen.

'Alec is calling'

I let out a sigh and finally answered.

"Hey" I said.

"Hi, Luke. I didn't think you were going to answer" his voice sounded through the phone. "How are you?"

"Look, I don't have a lot of time to talk. What do you want?"

"I won't take long. Just let me speak, I want to apologize" he said and I didn't answer.

He let out a sigh and took my silence as a cue to keep talking.

"There's no excuse for anything that I told you the other day. I was hurt, afraid and upset. My whole life my dad's been wanting me to be the perfect son, he wants me to be just like him, a policeman, married to a white woman, and have perfect kids. He wants me to have the perfect life he never got to have because my mom was smart enough to leave him. And because his other son it's far from perfect, and while he doesn't want to see it, so am I"

"Alec, I-

"No, wait, Luke. Let me finish" he said and continued to speak. "I don't want any of that and I don't care about what he wants anymore. All this time I've been trying to be the perfect son for my father, but I realized I want to be the perfect human for myself. I don't want to be a policeman and kill people, or support a racist and messed up system. I don't want to marry a white woman because I'm gay, and if someday I get married it will be with a guy that I love. And if we adopt kids I'll raise them to be good, to be happy, and to be themselves, not to be perfect" he said, finally letting everything out. Damn.

Right as I was about to speak he interrupted me.

"Before you say anything. I know I messed up, but I really do like you, Luke. And right now all I want is to be with you, I don't care what my father says and I don't care what anyone says. Please, give me another chance. I'm at the park I took you to on our date, if you want to give me another chance I'll be here for the next hour. I'll be waiting for you" he said and hung up before I had the chance to say anything.

W-what just happened?

Should I go?

Fuck it. He likes me and I think I like him too, I miss his kisses a lot. It's not his fault he has an awful dad, I wouldn't be too stable either if I was in his place.

I quickly went downstairs, taking the keys before opening the main door.

"I'm going out with a friend. I'll be back in a bit!" I shouted before leaving, and Ash answered with a quick 'Okay, be safe, I love you'

As I was making my way to the park I couldn't help but keep smiling, I can't wait to see him again. But quickly my smiled turned to a frown. Fuck, I forgot about Mal.