Chapter 1

A/N Trigger warning. Please never ever do something like this, it's really horrible this is only for plot.

The rain was almost calming, the constant pattern against the glass almost begging me to do it.

Charlotte would kill me, she would find out and I'd be doomed. So why did I feel the constant need to... I bit my lip.
The pain would balance everything else, my biting past, the harsh words. This would blur it all, make everything seem equal.

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

I closed my eyes as the sound of the rain against the window seemed to fade.

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

This is what I remember. This feeling that washes over me. Cold metal slides smoothly against sweaty skin igniting a sharp pain that does it's job well.

I can't even remember the past, the words, I'm too engulfed in pain.

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

But it's a good pain. A helpful pain. Like bathing in acid that would cleanse you of anything and everything.

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

I think I'm done here. For now.
My nagging conscience is telling me what I just did was wrong, and hurt not only me but the people around me. Oh well, what's done is done.

I clean up.

Just as I'm about to leave the room I glance at the window.

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

I open it and stick my hand out, watching as the blood falls down with the rain.

As everything washes away.

Something about this whole ordeal is almost whimsical if the act itself is not the opposite.

I take my arm in, dry it off, and close the window.

As I leave I quickly glance back.

No signs of what I had just done were left. I know how to hide it, I've learned. I sigh and walk away.

**************************

Sunlight streams in through the curtains, waking me up from my sleep.

I sit up in the bed, parting the black sheets and getting ready for school. I glance in the mirror then quickly look away. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I think I'm horribly ugly or something, it's just that... well... I don't want to see the face of a liar and a freak every morning.

Charlotte would oppose. Or so I would assume, judging by her insistence on my purity and loyalty.

I'd laugh at her but she's just to amazing to mock, usually I sit there and let her words wash over me. Sometimes though, sometimes, they stick. Just one thing like, "You're not perfect. But you have to keep in mind, no one is."

Some phrases to help me through the day I guess.

As I'm pulling on my converse I hear a loud bang on the door and a, "Nico Di Angelo you better let me in right now or I'm grounding your ass for a month!"

I sigh. Good old, Charlotte.

"Come in." I say.

The door is flung open and in Charlotte's dark hands is a knife. A bloody knife.

Guess I wasn't as thorough with cleaning up as I thought.

"You'd better have a pretty damn good explanation for this." She growled, narrowing her chocolatey eyes, fixing a glare on me.

I winced. "Not really..." I muttered, awaiting Charlotte's rant.

I felt the bed sink as she sat next to me. "Nico, how many times do I have to tell you, cutting won't change anything. It won't make things better, as a matter of fact, it might make things worse. If I lose you I don't know what I'll do."

Her tone of voice grew steadily shakier with each word. She was almost in tears at the end.

I hated that. I hated seeing Charlotte cry over me. I even knew how to stop it and I still did it.

I'm just a burden, and I know I don't have to be but every time I promise myself I'll stop I do it again anyway.

I reach my hand out and put it over Charlotte's.

"Char, please, please, don't cry." I say softly, looking at her with guilty eyes.

She looks back at me. "You need to stop Nico. I can't let you keep doing this."

I look away.

"I- I'll try my best. I promise." I murmur. I feel her arms wrap around me. "Everything will get better. Just wait." She says, and for the moment, at least, I'm a little convinced.

****************************

My footsteps seem to echo in the hallway as I try to find my way to first period.

Stupid endless hallway, stupid big-ass highschool, stupid students blocking my way. I roll my eyes as a girl squeals when she sees her boyfriend, running up to hug him.

I guess I was too focused on my thoughts that I didn't realize I was walking straight into a tall, not to mention hot, boy.

I stare at him for a moment but quickly shake my head and grunt as I walk passed him.

I feel his eyes on my back as I walk away, and I walk faster.

Where the fuck is first period?

Suddenly there's a hand on my shoulder and I whip around to see the same upperclassman that I walked into.

He smiles. "Hey, my name's Percy. I couldn't help but notice you look a bit lost." He said, chuckling.

Percy? I know that name... oh! Percy Jackson! The popular captain of the swim team! The show-off who likes being underwater more than he likes being on land.

I may have just got into this school, but I guess there are some things one learns quickly.

I swiftly shook my head. "I'm fine." I said, trying to walk away.

Percy seemed to know I was anything but fine. "Come on, I know you're lost. I can help! Really! I know this school inside out."

I roll my eyes. "No." And I walk away. Simple. Short. Dismissive. Apparently an invitation.

"Great, what's your first period?" He asks, taking my schedule and scanning it. I huff and turn around to look at him. "Give that back." I say sternly.

He shrugs. "Here," he says handing bak the paper.

I grab it and walk away but not fast enough to ignore his last comment of, "Room 2n7."

I shake my head again, realizing he's right, as I arrive at my History class.