6.

"I'm so in love that I might stop breathing, drew a map on your bedroom ceiling."

***

I held Maria in my arms, humming the tone of an Italian lullaby my mother used to send me to sleep with

I held Maria in my arms, humming the tone of an Italian lullaby my mother used to send me to sleep with. I smiled at the thought of my mom, wishing she was still alive to watch my beautiful children grow.

Rita Moritello was a beautiful woman, there was no denying it. In the words of her lover, she was created by a combination of the moon and stars. She made you feel the effects of a Friday on a Monday, she felt like summer and her scent was best described as freshly bloomed flowers. My mother was God's gift to mankind. An angel among demons, or better yet, the light in the darkness.

Her and my father represented what could only be true love. Growing up, I looked up to them and hoped one day I would have the type of love they had. Love that swept you off your feet but kept you on your toes at the same time.

If my father could see just how terrible my love-life had turned out, he would be rolling in his grave next to my mother. The two of them would've disliked Sarah the moment they met her. Although our kids were beautiful and I knew they would spoil and love my children to the ends of the earth.

I had hoped marrying Sarah would give me the love that I craved, but with time, I understood that she wasn't the one who could give me that. I was getting too old to start over and find someone new, accepting my failed marriage was the only thing I could do.

After ensuring my daughter had fallen asleep, I set the small angel down in the centre of my king sized bed, and walked out of the room, shutting the door carefully behind me as I exited.

Making my way downstairs, I heard the laughter of my other two children and smiled instantly at the sound. The two of them sat in the middle of the living room, arguing over who had the best toys. Elena was obviously the winner, she had me wrapped around her finger since the second she was born. My son was more on the quiet side which resulted in him usually keeping to himself which I didn't mind, as long as he was happy. Unfortunately I noticed a growing anger in what was once a happy young boy, it was heartbreaking and I had no idea what to do for my son.

Sarah was sat in the kitchen, flipping through fashion catalogs as she usually did, and often marking what she wanted to purchase using my card. I had endless amounts of money and her using my money didn't bother me as much as her not paying attention to her kids all that much. Some people were meant to be mothers and some were just meant to be trophy wives. I wish I had seen the difference earlier.

Her head shot up when I walked in and she almost instantly began to speak. "Hey love, are you doing anything important today? I scheduled for us to meet up with Anastasia later on. I think I might call in that babysitter to look after your kids." She smiled at me but I could tell how fake the words were.