Stars

It was the night after the Etherian War had ended. The night after the Rebellion saved the entire universe from Horde Prime's twisted view of peace, and the night after Catra had told her friend-turned-enemy-turned-girlfriend, Adora, that she loved her. The people of Etheria were finally at peace. There were no threats from alien spacecrafts, no more conflict on their planet and no more worries. Catra stared out of the giant window in Adora's bedroom at the Brightmoon Castle. She finally saw the stars. Finally, after being indoctrinated into darkness her entire life, there was light for her to see. She sighed and placed a hand on the glass pane. It was quiet. Peaceful. Harmonious. This was her life now. Though, it was hard to feel all the happiness surrounding her.

Catra was originally on the side of evil, before realising how much she was damaging Adora and the world around her. She has done so many bad things – opening portals to evil worlds, destroying civilian towns and turning a blind eye to the war she was a part of. But worst of all, she hurt her Adora. How could she forgive herself? Adora had given up so much for her and all she got in return was Catra pushing her aside and sending troops to attack people she cared about. Catra and Adora were raised together, yet somehow, Adora saw the light and joined the side of good and Catra didn't until a few weeks back. How could Catra forgive herself for everything? How? How?

"Hey, Catra." The brown-haired girl turned to see a half-awake Adora standing sheepishly.
"Hey, Adora." Catra said wistfully.

Adora was beautiful.

She patted a spot beside her, beckoning Adora to sit there. Adora obliged and wrapped a blanket around the two, snuggling close to the magicat.
"What'cha thinking about?" Adora asked, resting her head on the shorter girls shoulder. Catra just stared at the stars, fiddling with her hands.
She answered after a while. "Nothing really, just admiring the stars."
Adora smiled. "Pretty. Didn't know you were the type for stargazing." She nudged Catra playfully.
"A-am not!" Catra defended herself. Though their days of fighting were over, and Adora had forgiven Catra, the two still loved teasing each other.
"But seriously, I grew up with you." Adora said, looking up to catch the other girl's sight. "I know when something is bothering you. You can talk to me, you know."
Catra gave a sentimental nod. She hadn't talked about her feelings for a while now, since Adora had left to fight alongside the Rebellion. Adora was the only person she vented to, but she left so now Catra was dealing with 3 years' worth of bottled up feelings.

"I..." Catra started, looking away.
"I know it's hard. But I'm here now, the war is over. I'm staying by your side this time." Adora whispered. Catra felt her eyes go damp.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"I'm scared, Adora." Catra whispered, feeling a tear roll down her cheek. "I've done so many bad things, hurt so many people – hurt you! And now I have to live my life like none of that happened, like I'm not a monster. People will just see me as the girl who did bad things, or that I'm redeemed only to be with you. You managed to see I was doing things wrong. You tried to stop me. You reached out to me and never gave up on me. After all the fights...all the danger I put Etheria in, I can never forgive myself!" Catra cried out, shaking. She took a deep breath and looked down. "It's true, there is no one left in the entire universe who cares about me. I don't know who my family are, I've pushed all my friends away and now I'm suffering the consequences."

Adora remained silent, still resting her head on Catra. She listened to the brunette's soft cries, surprised she actually shared how she was feeling. "I get...I get it if you don't love me." Catra whispered.

Adora shook her head. "Catra." She sat up and put her hand on the shorter girl's wet cheek. "I love you." She smiled. "You're forgetting that you were a vital part of saving the universe. Without you, I'd be dead."
"But I carried out the war! War means that people get hurt. I hurt people, Adora!" Catra snapped. Adora just smiled fondly at her.
"You literally also saved the world, like, a day ago. You stopped Horde Prime's reign. You did that. You managed to see your wrong doings and joined the Rebellion. You're working hard to rebuild everything. Most people from the opposition can't see how wrong their actions are, but you did." Adora stated calmly. "What matters now is the person you're working hard to be, not the person you were."

Catra looked away again. "That doesn't matter. No one cares for me."

"I care for you. You're my family now, Catra." Adora whispered tenderly. "I love you, and you love me. That's what it means to be family, right? Plus, you have the Rebellion and Best Friend Squad too. They've seen that you're redeemed. There are lots of people who love you. It may be hard getting other people to see that, but you are getting there."
Catra snorted, happy tears rolling down her cheek this time. "You're such a sap!"
Adora giggled. "Yeah, I am. But only for you." She caught Catra's gaze again. "I love you."
Finally smiling, Catra sighed. "I love you too."

Looking up at the stars, Catra had finally found the light through the darkness.