14.1: Broken

The moment Alisha walked into the room, she knew he'd been gone for hours. As much as she hated to admit, she was hurt that he hadn't waited for her to come back before leaving.

Placing the gift box in her hand on the table, Alisha scanned the room for anything her friend had left for her when her eyes landed on a crumpled note on the bedside table.

Picking it up, Alisha sat on the bed as she began to read it.

Dear Liz,

(if you're not Alisha then please give this letter to her, and then if she wishes for you to read it, then by all means, please do.)

First of all, I'm sorry. I mean it when I say I'm sorry for not waiting for to you get back. I'm sorry, despite your incessant pleading for me to let go of the past, I just can't. I miss him way too much to just forget about everything and move on.

Now let's get to the real deal alright? I need to leave. I know you can give me a million reasons why I shouldn't go, but let me give you one for why I have to: I loved Steve. I know I was the one that told him it was a good idea to go and pursue his life with Peggy because I knew deep down that we could never be a thing, and that he still loves Peggy to this day.

You may tell me that it's harmful for me to stay out with no means to contact you whatsoever, but I still have my phone with me. If anything, I'll let you know, and I promise you that you'll be the first to know.

I'm not going to tell you where I'm going through, because I know you will come after me. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not telling Sam either. Just do me a favor, and don't track me. I know you are capable of doing that, how I still don't understand, but just, please don't.

Just know that you are one of the best things that happened to me, in this century. So thank you for that.

I'm forever indebted to you, Alisha Margaret Jackson, for everything that you've done for me. And I may seem like I don't care, but trust me, I care just a bit too much about you.

~Bucky