43

The outcome of Dumbledore's wrath wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the best either

The outcome of Dumbledore's wrath wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the best either. Ellie and Silas received detention with McGonagall while Nikolai rested in the hospital wing. Ellie was a little spun out about the fact that she felt as though Dumbledore knew everything, it was an inkling, a twinkle in his eye, something in his voice and his choice of words. 

Dumbledore had said to her, before she left, when it was just the two of them left in his office, "Miss Greer. I'm aware of the choices set out for you. I once knew a young man not unlike Mr Orlov. Determined, charming... a person who wears a mask. Go now, but hear this... should you ever find your self in any trouble, find me."

Ellie went over their conversation in her head as she served her time in detention in Professor McGonagall's classroom, Silas alongside her muttering furiously to himself. Ellie glanced at him, feeling guilty that he was in there with her, but she didn't voice it; she knew what he would say. There's nowhere else he'd rather be than right beside her. Ellie smiled shortly... he truly was the best friend she could ask for. 

Once McGonagall was pleased, Ellie and Silas were free to leave the classroom. Silas immediately exhaled louder than he needed to and threw his hands in the air.

"Finally! My hands are killing me. They're all gross and clamped up," he said loudly, examining his hands and rotating them. "You good, Ellie?"

"Huh?" Ellie said, snapping her head towards him. "Yeah. Just thinking."

"About what happens now? Honestly, nothing has to happen. Move out, come and stay with me and my family. Be happy," Silas advised.  

"No, no, I mean..." Ellie started, crossing her arms. "I don't want that arse to get away with everything. He's up to something beyond being such a bully, I can feel it. It's bad -- I know it."

"So what are you thinking?" Silas asked seriously, looking at his friend with such determination. 

Ellie glanced up for a moment as the pair of them pulled to a stop in an empty corridor -- everyone had made their way for the Great Hall. The redhead stared out the window for a short minute, her eyes feeling glassy and her skin growing cold. 

"I want him to get what he deserves."

"And he will. Every arse has their day -- karma-"

"I'm not sticking around long enough to watch karma serve him right. I'll be his karma."

Ellie could barely eat that night; only sat there, pondering the big mess she had been thrown into, a mess she hadn't asked for. A mess her parents had made for her. Lavender and Parvati conversed back and forth, not noticing Ellie sitting there in silence refusing to touch her food. 

Once dinner ended, Lavender and Parvati grabbed onto each other and almost ran out of the Great Hall, giggling and talking excitedly about something that was probably just stupid -- something Ellie would have laughed about with them if her plate wasn't so full and her mind wasn't racing with things it shouldn't have been.