17| The Necklace

"Logan, for the twentieth time, I'm fine. And stop apologizing."

Logan stood behind me in my bedroom as I finished brushing my hair and putting it up in a ponytail. "Come on, Amelia. You looked really upset and uncomfortable last night at your party. I thought you would have liked the surprise."

I met his eyes in the mirror. "I appreciated what you did, Logan. I really do. It was sweet."

"But? I'm sensing a but."

I turned to him and inhaled a deep breath. "I just...don't do well with big crowds. Never have." I tucked my hair behind my ear. "I don't like to talk about it much. I just...don't do crowds."

I saw the regret in his eyes as he walked towards us. "I totally understand. It won't happen again, Amelia. I promise."

He gave me a quick kiss before he started to leave my room. "I'll see you down at the cook out?"

"Yes, sir. I'll be there in ten minutes."

After he left me alone in my room, I finally finished putting my hair up. My hair has taken on a life of its own today and hasn't been cooperating with me. The disadvantages of being a girl.

I was actually looking forward to this cookout. Wyatt assured me it was just his family. Thank God. Speaking of Wyatt...After my little breakdown last night and our kiss in my bedroom, I had to force myself to rejoin the party downstairs. Wyatt stayed close by me as we mingled through the crowded house.

The party itself was nice. There was delicious food, a giant cake, and lots of presents. Wyatt told me he was going to surprise me with my birthday present today. I was nervous about what it was. After the party last night, he and I sat on the patio that connected our rooms and talked about what happened. We both agreed that nothing could happen between us. No more kissing...or anything else. It was hard for both of us. Especially since I knew that he still had feelings for me. But the sad truth was, it was too late.

I was engaged to Logan, and even with his shady the reason behind the proposal, it still meant something to me. I still had things I needed to figure out with Logan. We needed to talk more about this whole possible marriage because of the business thing. But not today. Today, I was going downstairs to have a nice cookout with people I cared about. And at the same time, hopefully I could control the feelings Wyatt seemed to stir inside me.

When my hair finally looked presentable, I slipped on my shoes and started heading out of my room and down the long hallway to the stairs.

"Hey, you."

Wyatt's voice sent a chill down my spine and I stopped where I was. I let out a deep breath before I turned towards him with a smile. "Hey, yourself."

The corner's of his mouth lifted as he took in my appearance. "You look nice."

I was wearing a pair of khaki shorts and a black tank top. Nothing fancy. "I doubt it," I laughed. "These are my 'whatever' clothes."

I didn't miss the heated look in his eyes when he ran them over me.

"Still. You look nice."

I felt my cheeks heat and I looked away when I suddenly felt bashful. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" he teased.

"Like you've seen me naked."

He arched a brow. "Well..."

"Wyatt!" I warned and we both laughed. "Let's go before someone comes looking for us. You know your mom hates when we are late."

"Yeah, yeah. You're right." He fell in step beside me as we started going downstairs, "How are you feeling? Better?"