62

"Ms.Greenway, Nicole is very sick, she has the rotavirus." The tall man towers over my bed.

"Is she going to be okay?"

"There's been cases of rotavirus that causes the child to die."

"Is she going to be one of them?"

"We caught it early, so its highly unlikely."

"But its possible?"

"Well anythings possible Ms.Greenway."

"Can I see her?"

"I don't think that's a good idea. The less contact she has with others, the better."

"You just told me My daughter could die soon and now you're saying I can't hold her?" He stares at me blankly, lost for words.

"Get the fuck out of my room." I calmly say and start to sit up. I take the blood pressure cuff off of my arm, along with the oxygen clip on my index finger. I stand up from my bed and start putting my sweat pants on. I look up and see that the doctor and Niall are both staring at me, confused.

"I said get the fuck out."

"Ms.Greenway, your in no condition to be walking around. "

"SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET THE FUCK OUT." I yell at him.

He turns around and exits the room. I continue to get dressed and pull my hair up into a messy bun. I walk towards the door, and Niall remains standing by the bed, looking confused.

"Come on Ni. We're going to see Nicole. "

Niall starts walking towards me.

I walk out of the room and make my way towards the elevators, and press the 7th floor.

"That's not the NICU love. "

"I know, I'm going to talk to the hospital administration."

"For why babe?"

I smile ear to ear when I hear him say babe.

"what're smiling at?"

"You. I've missed you so much. Everything about you, your eyes, your scent, your smile, your accent, your body. I was so empty without you Niall." I hug him tightly.

"I love you so much Lexus. You don't even know what I went through while you were gone. You're my everything babe. I thought of you every second of the day, I haven't even looked at another girl." I smile onto his chest, and pull away when I heard the elevator ding, indicating that we were on the seventh floor.

I step out of the elevator and make my way to the front desk, I feel Niall reach for my hand and I can't help but to grin. My hands been so empty without his.

"Hello, how can I help you?" The middle aged brunette from behind the counter sounds so happy.

"I need to make an appointment to speak to the board of pediactrics."

"Well your in luck, they are available right now."

"Great" I smile at her, following her to the large black doors behind her desk.

"Mr.Ursino, your next appointment is here."

"Hello, I'm Mr.Ursino, the head of pediatrics." He puts his hand out to shake mine, and then Niall's.

"I'm Lexus Greenway, my daughter and myself are both patients here." He nods his head, indicating for me to continue.

"I just had a c-section, my daughter was 3 months early. The doctors said she was stable and doing well, and then this morning I was told she has the rotavirus, and that she doesn't have a huge chance of living. Then one of your doctors told me I can't even hold her. I understand that the less people she's in contact with the better chance she has, but you have to understand my daughter may not have much longer and I've never even seen her, let alone hold her."

"So you just had a c -section?"

I nod my head in response.

"You should probably sit down, you aren't supposed to be moving for a few days ."

I do as I'm told and sit down in the chairs in the front of his desk.

"So your daughter is Nicole Greenway right?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay, I'm familiar with her, I was actually checking in on her earlier . I know I should probably give you hope, but as you know Nicole is not doing well. I completely agree that you should be able to see your child."

I smile at him.

"Thank you so much."

"No problem at all. I'll take you to her myself, but I'm going to get you a wheelchair because I don't want you walking around."

He leaves the room and comes back with a wheel chair.

"Are you the father?"

"Yes he is."

I answer before Niall has the chance to oppose.

"Great so all three of us can go see our little fighter."

He smiles at me, helping me into the wheelchair, he goes to push me but Niall quickly takes over.

Mr.Ursino walks ahead of us a little bit, giving Niall a chance to question why I lied.

"Niall, she's just as much my daughter as she is yours. Everything of mine is yours." He kisses the top of my head gently. While whispering that he loves me.

***

"She's so precious." I cradle my 7 month old daughter, she's perfect, the most innocent thing in the world, she has no worries, I want to protect her with my life, I will never let anything hurt her.

"Niall do you want to hold her?"

I look up at him.

"I would love to."

He smiles, taking her from my arms.

"Ms.Greenway, I don't think she will make it much longer."

"I have to disagree, she's a fighter, she can do anything."

Mr.Ursino smiles at me.

"I'm proud of you. I knew once you held her you would change your mind, from the second I first laid my eyes on her I knew she was strong, and now I see she gets it from her mom."

He rubs my shoulder on comfort.

"She'll make it, as long as you believe in her. Once she's clear of the rotavirus she will be able to leave the NICU and we can work on her going home."

"Thank you so much."

I feel a tear run down my eye, just thinking of my perfect daughter coming home with Niall and I makes me so happy, happier than I have ever been.