18 | Want a ride?

Chapter 18: Want a ride?

No wonder Luke didn't care about his last basketball game. No wonder he was so relaxed about his homework getting crushed inside the broken laptop...

He'd gotten college offers.

Is it right he never told me? Maybe he texted me and I have no data again... still getting those candy crush notifications though.

Or maybe he crafted a very long and elaborate text and forgot to hit send.

Maybe he took a detour on the way to coach's house and ended up in Yakutat without cell service.

Yeah, he just didn't tell me.

I tried to not imagine Luke next year, in college somewhere far away. I didn't want to think about it. That's right, I've just developed a Peter Pan complex.

"Hey Millie, it's not often I see you alone these days."

Jake had just pulled up on his motorcycle. He took the helmet off his head and shook his hair.

"Maybe that's a good thing. I'm practically a safety hazard," I answered, still standing outside his doorstep.

He laughed and didn't disagree. He pushed his bike into his parking space on the driveway, before pulling the keys out. "I, uh, saw you wrote about a dead cat for English. That's a creative approach to the assignment."

I was grateful he didn't ask me why I was standing outside his door. He probably knew why.

"The teacher didn't really appreciate my emotion," I answered. He also probably saw the fat B- land on my desk, "What did you write about?"

"I submitted one of my songs. Something I wrote a few months ago," he said.

"Cool," I nodded and started to walk down the street. There was no need to loiter around the Dawson's house any more than I already do.

"We don't really hang out, do we?" Jake called out to me.

For real, does this guy not know how much trouble I've gotten myself into because of him? I am not proud of the way I handled our little love triangle.

I like geometry, but not that much.

"I'm with Luke..."

"Trust me, I know. But it doesn't mean you have to run away every time I'm around," he said maturely.

I slowed down and turned back towards him. He has never been anything but genuine and kind to me.

He reached out with an offer, "We're all going to my dad's lake house this weekend if you want to come. I'm bringing a girl. Maybe Luke can bring you? It'd be fun."

The lake house. Another thing Luke hasn't mentioned.

"Sounds fun."

Jake went into his house. I heard his mother's friends call out his name as he walked in.

Luke, Jake and Charlotte were lucky to have such present parents. Luke's dad was with him now, helping him make one of the most important decisions. College.

In two years, where will he be? And where will I?

**

I stayed up late to wait for Luke. I left my bedroom window open so it would be easy to hear him.

But then I accidentally fell asleep in my bed with my laptop open.

I don't know what time he came home, but I got a text from him at 12.07am.