Chapter 29: Obsession

Comenzar desde el principio

My mother's vein popped and glared at him while keeping her grin. "Oh yes. I remember that time and when I saw you. I thought you were an intruder and guards tackled you"

"Yep, I remember that" He also glared at her with a happy expression and the atmosphere around us got intense. "You had no manners whatsoever even at the party"

"Ah and you had that foul mouth of yours, insulting everyone so arrogantly and no feelings at all"

They continued to create lies about how they met but at this point, it's just an insult battle. We watch both of them arguing like children and I was done with them. This is nothing new, to be honest. Back at the mansion, they would argue in the afternoon and suddenly makeup after that then get back to work. It's a routine.

***

Well, that was chaotic. They managed to finish the roller coaster of a story to them and they actually believed it. This is so wild to think that their love story is actually real...

"I heard you're the heir to your household" Penelope talks to me and I nod. "I thought you were going to inherit the throne of the Sidonna Kingdom"

"Hehe. That's just a rumor" I chuckled. "Besides, I'm unfit to be a ruler anyway so I think handling a dukedom is enough for me"

"What are you talking about, Anastasia?" Jennette pouts and startles me. "You did way more things for the people and you're also loved by them despite being a foreigner! How can you say that about yourself?!"

I break off a bit of sweat and nervously smile at her. "Well even so with all those accomplishments. I still don't think I'm fit to rule a kingdom"

"... What do you mean?"

"I'm just.... Not interested" I grinned at her so she wouldn't worry. "It's my decision,"

"Ermmm..." She mumbles gibberish in anxiety and gives me a sad face. "One day, you'll change your mind. I just know it!" She said in determination.

"Sure, one day" I giggled at her cute expression.

***

We finished our tea and meeting. My parents and I prepare to leave the palace. We bow to them and say the blessing line while thanking them for the invite. Jennette and Penelope greet us with warm hearts and tells us to come again. We smiled and chatted for a short time before going.

"Before you go" A voice stops us from walking back to our carriage. We turned around and faced the emperor.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" I stared at him with a straight face as he gave me the cold eyes.

"If there was a kingdom that was unwilling to open a route leading to a river that is essential to the people after signing a treaty where the empire provides them resources in exchange for the trade route, what would you do?" He asked.

W-What? Why is he quizzing me??

"First off, if the kingdom fails to negotiate. Wouldn't it be best to give them a warning along with harsher terms?" I suggested but I need more time to think about this situation. "And if they still refuse, you can just stop the supply line to them. However, Your Majesty. I am unable to come up with a proper response to this mess"

We looked at each other expressionlessly while our families stood aside awkwardly. This guy doesn't know crap about me and yet he wants to test me? My pink eyes reflected in his blue jewel eyes that showed no emotion whatsoever. But I wasn't afraid nor brave, I also showed no emotion and glared at him.