King of Snakes & High Stakes

CHAPTER EIGHT:

Third Person P.O.V.:

McGonagall quickly ushered the three boys into the Gryffindor common room where she intended to address her entire House at once.

Charlie crossed his arms and leaned against a wall behind her as she spoke, loud and clear, "Due to recent events, these new rules will be put into effect immediately: All students will return to their house common rooms by 6:00 every evening -"

The voice of McGonagall was going in one ear and out the other for Charlie as his mind was still fixated on Hermione.

"- All students will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No exceptions. I should tell you all, that unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught... it is likely that the school will be closed."

McGonagall's last words were the only thing capable of pulling the brown eyed boy from his thoughts. His mouth was agape as he heard the soft chatter of disbelief coming from the crowd of Gryffindors. When Professor McGonagall left the room, Charlie looked around the room carefully and noticed that Ginny Weasley was looking particularly nervous.

Clearly no one else seemed to notice as Harry pulled Charlie and Ron around a corner and spoke in a whisper, "We have to talk to Hagrid, I don't want to believe it, but if he did set the monster loose last time, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets. That's a start."

"But you heard McGonagall," said Ron, nervously, "We are not allowed to leave the tower except for class!"

Charlie shook his head, "How many times has someone asked us not to do something, but we end up doing it anyway? Besides, finding the Chamber will keep my mind off of the fact that Hermione is currently laying petrified in the hospital wing. We have to do this, Ron. We have to do it for her."

That seemed to do it for the ginger haired boy as he nodded in agreement quickly.

"Brilliant," Harry said, "I think it's time we get my dad's old cloak out again."

------------

As the sun went down, Charlie, Harry, and Ron set out for Hagrid's hut underneath the invisibility cloak.

Charlie knocked twice on the door before hearing Hagrid on the other side say, "Who's there?"

When the three boys were about to answer, the half-giant opened the door pointing a large cross-bow directly at them. Startled, they quickly removed the cloak which made Hagrid sigh in relief.

"Oh," he said, lowering the weapon and staring at them. "What're you three doin' here?"

"What the bloody hell is that for?" said Charlie with wide eyes, pointing at the crossbow as they stepped inside.

"Nothin' - nothin' - " Hagrid muttered. "I've bin expectin' - doesn' matter - Sit down - I'll make tea - "

He hardly seemed to know what he was doing.
He nearly extinguished the fire, spilling water from the kettle on it, and then smashed the teapot with a nervous jerk of his massive hand.

"Are you okay, Hagrid?" said Harry. "Did you hear about Hermione?"

Charlie gulped at the mention of her name. Just like that, the haunted image had reappeared in his head. He should have never had left her alone in the first place with all the muggle-borns being targeted. What. An. Idiot.

"Oh, I heard, all righ'," said Hagrid, a slight break in his voice.

He kept glancing nervously at the windows. He poured them both large mugs of boiling water without tea bags in them, and was just putting a slab of fruitcake on a plate when there was a loud knock on the door.