Chapter 6: Somewhere Only We Know (past)

ONE YEAR AGO

I couldn't understand shit.

Was this what it felt like when my brain was about to fucking explode?

I let out a frustrated sigh, as I raised my head and looked around the library because I was sick to fucking death of staring at my books. I leaned my back on the armchair and watched the students get devoured by their schoolwork.

It wasn't that packed here today, compared to the newly built Smith Center or Harvard Commons where students usually go for group studies and all. Those places were filled with people all the time that it was always hard to get a spot.

My eyes wandered up to the curved high ceilings, with glass sunroofs where natural light was coming in. It reminded me of an old cathedral in Europe or that museum in New York. The prestige practically oozed off of the marble walls.

It was like an unspoken rule that every Harvard student should love Widener Library. Studying here, especially in the Loker Reading Room, would really make you feel that you made it. You were in goddamn Harvard.

Me? This was my go-to place if I wanted to study without anyone bothering me. I fucking loved how it was so cozy and quiet here. Nobody talked to each other. Everybody respected each other's space.

It was the perfect place not to get any distractions. But because of that, it was also the worst place to be if you were burnt out.

Like me, right now.

From the moment I got here last year, all I did was study, go to class, study, go to football practice, and study.

Winter break? Nah, I did advanced readings. Spring break? Nah, I did more advanced readings. Summer? Nah, I took special courses so I could catch up and be able to graduate on time.

I was drained as fucking hell.

But it was cool because unlike the pressure brought by everyone around me, this was the kind of pressure I put upon myself. I had no one else's expectation riding on me aside from my own.

"You look like you're dying."

Turning my head to the direction of the voice, I laid my eyes on the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. Today, her almond-shaped brown eyes were covered by thin-framed glasses and half of her wavy dark hair was tied up in a bun. She was wearing a maroon MIT sweatshirt and plain jeans.

Damn, she never looked cuter.

"Alfred?" Arisa called, waving a hand in front of my face.

Shit, did I seriously just space out while staring at her? Talk about a fucking creep. Get your shit together, man.

I shook my head. "You better step back, unless you want my brain splattered all over you. It's damn near exploding."

"Should I call Hannibal Lecter?" she offered, raising an eyebrow.

"You have his number?" I asked, feigning shock. "Fuck, babe. You have some impressive connections."

She chuckled, before glancing at my open books. "Information overload?"

I thought about being a smartass, but I was too tired for that shit. So I just nodded and let out a sigh. Arisa pursed her lips, looking deep in thought.

Funny thing, we were having this entire conversation in exchanged whispers because as I said, it was really fucking quiet here. You could practically hear a pin drop and anyone from a mile radius would hear it.

"Alright, come on," Arisa said, gesturing for me to get up and follow her.

"Where are you taking me?"