Chapter 16

Chapter 16:

Lou and Daddy changed the boys back into comfy clothes: hoodies and sweatpants. Then they carried them up to the playroom, where much to Aaron's pleasure, a square blue play-mat had been set. Miniature stars and planets hung down the arch placed above it, like a solar system on strings.

Aaron groaned from his place on Lou's hip, dreading every second of his life as he was slowly lowered down onto the floor. "Look, baby," Lou said. He tapped one planet and sent it swinging back and forth. Aaron's eyes followed it. "Let's lie down and play with it."

Lou gently pushed Aaron down until he was laying flat on his back on the rug just beneath the arch. Aaron grimaced, his face set into the most uninterested and disgusted expression he'd ever pulled off. "Can't I just have another nap instead?" he asked as he brought his fist up to rub his eyes, groaning quietly when that only seemed to singe them even more. If he had to do something babyish, then he'd rather do something beneficial: something that at least would give him some space, some alone time.

Lou looked startled at the request, almost like it had been the most unexpected thing ever. He quickly brought himself out of the trance, but a concerned frown remained present. "Why do you want another nap, love? Are you still tired?"

"I just like to sleep." Or at least do something less stupid than lie on a play mat, Aaron thought.

Lou smiled, like that somehow reassured him. "Oh. No, you sleepyhead. You can't have another nap. You won't be able to sleep at night that way," he chided with a playful frown, one hand reaching out to ruffle his hair affectionately. "Now be a good boy, alright? I have to go."

Aaron watched as Lou pulled himself to his feet, and he felt vaguely alarmed by that. He propped himself on one elbow, peeking at him nervously. "Wait, you're going?"

"And she's staying." Lou cocked his head towards the door just as Mommy set foot past the threshold, emerging into the room with a wide, admiring smile. Lou shot Aaron an encouraging smile then made his way out along with Daddy, leaving both the boys with Mommy.

Aaron groaned miserably. Now he was stuck with the creepy, touchy one. Couldn't Lou have just stayed?

His elbow slipped from beneath him, the sudden loss of support making him bang his head against the floor but it was cushioned to lesser pain with the softness of the rug. Squinting, Aaron cradled the side of his head with one hand as a throb pulsated along his skull. But then, just like what'd happened in the living room, the pain brought back the memory—this time clearer and less disorienting.

Aaron froze, pouring all his focus to strain on grasping more of it. Something in his brain flicked, as if a light had been turned on and it illuminated the darkness enough for him to see a bigger part of the recollection; it was a fight—definitely a fight—between him and his father, but then what happened next flew by him, the memory disappearing just a fast as it had appeared.

Aaron wasn't surprised at that; it wasn't foreign. He'd always had fights with his father. But he wanted to know what happened next.

Mommy crouched down next to her baby, worried eyes watching the tense expression on his face. She wondered what the problem was, what had him so focused all of a sudden. "Baby?" she said, her fingers reaching down to rub the side of his head where she noticed he'd banged. Aaron's eyes shot open. He instinctively moved away from her, the proximity ringing an alarm in his brain. "Everything alright, love?"

Aaron nodded, waiting patiently for her to leave his side. And she did; she gradually moved away and settled on the beanbag. He stayed in silence for a few seconds, but then he was distracted when Leo scooted closer, leaning his upper body against the arch, one hand pointing at the sun that hung down motionlessly. "Lamp." He grinned.