Chapter Twenty Two

Kendall Vertes

It seemed a little to good to be true considering it was a Tuesday morning. The day just seemed to be a little more better than usual.

I had gotten up on the right side of the bed for sure, and slept like a freakin baby last night.

Then woke up to the smell of freshly cooked Belgian waffles, sitting on the kitchen counter waiting for me.

After breakfast- which I finished up earlier than usual- I had some more time so I took an extra long hot shower, and enjoyed the scorching hot water soothe my muscles before one of our last practices after-school today.

The relief of not having to worry about soccer anymore has almost come.

After my shower, I decided to be adventurous and put on something a little more dressier than usual.

A gray knit pencil skirt, that has an interesting side slit black zipper, paired with a black long sleeve crop top that met the top of my pencil skirt. But to add some color I threw on a blue infinity scarf.

I blowdried my hair, and covered it in a blue knit beanie. Then I slid my feet in a pair of leather heels, and threw on my black leather coat cause the October chill is starting to come.

I walked down the stairs with complete confidence today, which was a complete surprise due to the events that happened with Chase.

But I'm feeling better than ever, and I'm ready for a freakin great day.

+++

I strutted into school with my head held high, and confident as hell. Within seconds of stepping out of my car, Kalani had joined my side and was already talking my ear off.

But this morning I didn't care, because I was in a good mood and nothing could get better.

We walked up the steps, and through the doors and immediately I was hit by the aroma of teenagers chatting.

I made my way down the hall and to my locker, clutching my bag tight to my side. Once at my locker, I emptied my bag, removed my jacket and got my stuff for the next class.

I scanned the area for Kalani- who was suppose to meet me back at my locker once she was done at hers- but she wasn't anywhere in my view.

But one person I certainly didn't want to see was and that was Chase Holliman, and Vince.

Damn, so much for avoiding him.

I dropped my head, and hid behind my locker door for a few seconds. But then I thought,

who the hell cares.

I slammed my locker shut, and held my textbooks close to my chest. I then took a deep breathe and started my descent down the hallway.

But I locked eyes with him, and my heart wanted to shatter into a million pieces. But I know I'm making a big deal out of this, because I mean we weren't boyfriend and girlfriend.

We had no commitment to each other what so ever and he was allowed to do whatever he wanted.

But I didn't want that deep down. I wanted to be the one he kissed, not my stupid sister.

He looked at me with sympathy, and looked away immediately- returning to chat with Vince and Tyler.

But damn how I wish I could've pranced right over there, and made that frown into a smile.

+++

By second period, there was a certain uncertainty buzzing around the school. There was talk of a new kid.