Sometimes truth helps keep a secret

“So, did you hear?!” my best friend Taylor exclaimed. Almost loud enough to draw attention to our lonely lunch table in the back of the cafeteria. “Katelin and James are over. Like ‘James totally dumped Katelin’ over.” I sarcastically dropped my jaw in shock. 

“Oh, don’t tease me.”  she glanced around at our surroundings, then back to me, making a sour face. She wouldn’t tell anyone, not even me, that she secretly had a crush on James Parker, who was practically those most popular guy at Turner High. “Just because you-” Taylor start off on a rant but was cut off by the devil itself.

“Talking about me girls?” Katelin snorted as she stopped by our table with her horde of guys following her. 

“Speak of the devil.” I muttered to myself. Taylor caught it and chuckled. This did not go by unnoticed by Katelin. “You really need to warn us, Katelin, before you grace us with your presence, so I can puke beforehand, rather than after. Oh and by the way, snorting is very unattractive.” I said, knowing she will probably bite my head off.

“You wanna go?” Katelin threatened me, “Because I swear I’ll tear you to shreds.” Glaring at me, she stomped off, the boys following her off like puppy dogs. 

“You could so take her.” Taylor comforted me, “Besides…its not as if you have anything to lose.” I grimaced. She was right, I was so low in the food chain, anymore blows wouldn’t have an effect on me.

I grunted and got up from our table to throw away my food. I had calculus next. I groaned, math sucked. And our teacher, Mr. Martin, really didn’t do a good job of making it easier. It’s like he wants my life to suck! He loads so much homework on us at the end of the day that I don’t even have time to wash the dinner dishes. 

Taylor quickly got up and followed me. “Why are you in such a bad mood today, grumpy pants.” she teased and I grumbled. “I mean, it’s not like Katelin doesn’t threaten us everyday, this is nothing new. She always has something to say to you, its just because your pretty!” I snorted, me? Pretty? Those two don’t go together. “And Katelin can’t help but feel jealous, I mean, you have perfect straight, white blond hair, ocean blue eyes, your skinny, have a great sense of humor.”

“Oh my goodness, Taylor!” I shook my head. “You sound like my mum!” she gasped. She hated my mum, I never knew why. Taylor just never liked her. Simple enough, I don’t like her either.

“I DO NOT SOUND LIKE THAT OLD HAG!” Taylor screamed at me and a few people we passed in the hallway turned to stare. She was a little over the top but Taylor is Taylor. “I’m just pointing out that you have many likeable traits.” she calmed down a bit.

“What, are you hitting on me or something?” I teased. She shook her head disgustingly. “because last time I checked, I don’t bend that way Taylor.” I smiled.

“You’re so gross sometimes, you know that?” she walked ahead of me and I stepped on the back of her heal. Her sandal slipped off and she paused, mid-step. “Why do you always do that to me?” Taylor slid her show back on and ruffled my hair. I flattened it down again.

“And why do you always mess up my hair?” I asked, straightening out my shirt when my (senior)older brother popped up behind me.

“Some questions are just never answered!” Derek said with a smile. Taylor blushed and shyly smiled. 

I flicked my brothers nose. “Why so poetic?” 

“Don’t know. Just in the mood.” he shrugged, rubbing his sensitive nose.

“Your so weird.”

“I agree.” he insulted himself. Derek walked off without another word. Taylor looked disappointed but hurriedly masked it with worry.

“We NEED to get to class.” Taylor said, panicking. I looked around and realized that no one was around. Obviously the bell rang and I didn’t notice. How did that happen?

“Oh, crud!” I cursed then Taylor and I ran to class. 

~<3~