Chapter 24: Shakespeare Said

Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind,
and therefore is winged cupid painted blind.

Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind,and therefore is winged cupid painted blind

A N N A B E T H

"Say it with me: I deserve better."

I sniffle. "I deserve better."

"Good," Beth nods approvingly, patting my arm, "Now say it like you mean it. Use more chest- take a deep breath and give it a go."

I wipe my nose with the back of my hand and let out another sniffle.

"No, no, no," Beth offers me another tissue, giving me a warning look as she wags her finger in front of me, "We do not cry over assholes. Let's add that to your little monologue- I deserve better, and I will not cry over-"

"James!"

Both of us pause.

Huh?

"I didn't say that," I tell her stupidly with another sniff, "You told me not to say his name-"

"I know, I know," she shushes me as the muffled voice says something right outside our dorm room.

"James, you shithead- you're putting all your weight on me!"

"That's Elliot," I say stupidly again, "Do you think he's-"

Beth shushes me again, listening intently. Elliot's complaint is followed by something that sounds like incoherent mumbling.

Before either of us can do anything else, a bunch of loud knocks resounds against the door.

"Beth? Annie?" I hear Elliot call out loud and more coherent this time, "You're not going to believe who I just found-"

Bethany grabs her trusty baseball bat from her bedside and gives it an experimental roll. "You know, I actually have a fair idea of who might be outside the room-"

I grip her arm before she can take another step toward the door.

"No, don't," I tell her as she narrows her eyes at me in defiance, "Please Beth- let's just open the door first?"

"Yeah, I'm opening that door and beating the motherfucker's face in before we l-"

"No, no- please," I tug at her arm as she makes a move for the door, "Beth, could I just- could I open the door and see if Elliot really has... someone with him?"

She grits her jaw stubbornly. The teary look on my face must have done something though because she lets out a little harsh breath before she steps back. "Fine."

Slowly, with another unwilling sniffle, I walk towards the door. I allow myself a single deep breath, just to prepare myself for the worst scenario possible before I swing the door open.