CHAPTER 46

Hannah Towers’ POV

Damn it! I hastily get off Justin’s lap and straighten my shirt.

“M-Mom!” Justin himself is also surprised at her sudden visit. And worst she seemed to have heard our conversation. I look down to the floor wanting it to swallow me. I feel so embarrassed to look at her now.

“Hannah, what deal were you talking about?” Mrs. Royce firmly asks and I force myself to look at her. But Justin grabs my hand as he steps forward in a protective stance.

“Mom, I will explain. Leave Hannah out of this.” Justin sternly replies while squeezing my hand trying to assure me.

“Honeybunch, you better.”

Justin turns to me and he smiles. “Hannah, I got this, okay? You have nothing to worry about. Now, leave us first and I−”

“No, I want to be here.”

“Hannah, please. . . ”

I look at his pleading eyes but it doesn’t thaw my resolve to face his mother even with the trembling fear creeping into my body.

“Justin, we both agreed to that deal. I want to be here with you. Let’s face her together.”

“Come on, you two. You can’t keep me waiting here.” Mrs. Royce icily states as she settles at the couch across us.

Justin sighs and we take our seat. He intertwines our fingers together silently giving me the courage I need right now. My knees are starting to tremble and my heart is beating furiously out of my chest but I stay composed as I try to keep my gaze on Mrs. Royce.

I feel like we are two teens inside the principal’s office waiting for punishment for being caught in a cheating incident.

“Mom, what do you want to know?” Justin starts.

“Well, everything of course. Enlighten me about a deal you two were just talking about.” Mrs. Royce seriously stares at us like a very strict principal. The gentle voice I’ve known about her is gone and her face is grave. It’s hard to read what she’s thinking but it’s obvious she’s not pleased.

“Mom, I admit, that deal was improper in the first place. It was all my fault. Hannah wa−”

I couldn’t help but to interrupt. “I did wrong, Mrs. Royce. I know what I did is so shameful. I’m so−”

Justin squeezes my hand disrupting me as he interjects. “Mom, it was my fault for offering her a deal in the first place. But I promise, that was just in the beginning. Now,” he glances at me before looking back at his mother with a determined look. “I love her, Mom. I love Hannah Towers and nothing will ever keep me away from her.”

I could swear my heart stopped beating for a moment. I’ve heard him say it to me many times when we were at the island but hearing him say it resolutely in front of his mom is something much more. I just stare at him as he gazes back at me. Time seemed to have stopped as we just gaze into each other’s eyes.

Suddenly, an excited shriek cuts off our romantic moment. We look at Mrs. Royce and we both gape at her in pure confusion. She’s covering her mouth trying to control her excited shrieks then she starts clapping her hands like a schoolgirl who just received a Christmas gift from Santa himself.

I frown and Justin’s face mirrors mine.

“M-Mrs. Royce. . .?” I worriedly ask as she suddenly stands and hugs us both. when she pulls away, tears are brimming her eyes.

“Mom, are you okay?” Justin is also anxiously looking at her mother in bewilderment.

Mrs. Royce lets out a loud sigh of relief. “Ha! Finally!”