Virtual Reality - Pt. 5

Prompt by: MachoNachoKennedy

The president was not happy with the way you had ended up handling things. He was insistent that more lives could've been saved if you had set up alarms for these kinds of things. You tried to reason with him that it was nearly impossible for you to have known that his would've happened but he didn't care. He set you up as Director of the DEO because he trusted that you would keep National City safe and you failed. The only reason why you even still held that title was because Supergirl had stuck out her neck for you. Saying that she only trusted you to get the job done and that if you weren't head of the DEO that she wasn't going to collaborate with the government.

X

It took less than a day for you, Brainy and Alex to figure out their weakness and use it to your advantage. Brainy took the lead to figure out a way to release lead into the environment to make it impossible for the daxamites to live in Earth. With the help of the two of you, the bomb was finished in less than a week. With a plant to rescue Lena set in motion, Supergirl and Alex headed to the ship to rescue her while you and Brainy stayed on Earth to get the bomb set up. Using Supergirl's signal, he activated it, releasing a large wave of lead particles into the atmosphere. It took less than an hour for them to flee.

You had just barely arrived at your office when you received a call from Alex.

"Director (y/n)."

"(y/n), we have Lena. She's safe."

You can't help but be relieved at the news. You thank her and hang up as you received another call.

"What can I do for you General Pierce?"

"I need you in my office, now. Don't be late."

"Yes sir. On my way."

You could tell from the tone of his voice that it wasn't about congratulating you for what you had done. It was something you weren't going to like and it made your nervous about what he needed you for.

As you arrive, he begins to talk your ear off about how you had been incompetent and failed the general public to keep them safe. That all the lives of every single dead citizen was on you. You wanted to cry but you forces yourself to remain emotionless as he continued to berate you.

"I'm sorry sir. I failed to keep them safe and I won't let it happen again. I won't fail National City again."

"See to it that it doesn't"

He pulled out a folder and slid it to you.

"That will be your last chance (y/n)."

You looked at the file for a second and then grabbed it. Like any other mission file, you opened and skimmed it to get a better understanding of what you needed to do. The more you kept reading it, the more you got nervous about this mission. You had never faced something like this and you weren't sure that you were equipped to handle it.

"If you fail to successfully complete the mission, then you're no longer work for us."

"Yes sir. I understand."

He nods and dismisses you.