Chapter 9

Kylie's POV

"Hey Eric," I greet as I step into his car. The black Range Rover has a lemony scent meaning that he has just washed his car.

"Hey Kylie. How was studying? You probably had a lot of fun," he replies his tone dripping with sarcasm.

"Loads actually," I say rolling my eyes. "You are so luck that you were able to drop out and still become rich. If I were to drop out you'd be dropping me off under a bridge. I am no where near as talented as you are. I mean you can sing, dance, and you are one of the best music producers and you are only 18. Ugh, talented people are so lucky."

"Hahaha thanks Kylie. Tell me how you really feel. But I had to work really hard to get to where I am and I'm glad I did because otherwise I wouldn't have net my best friend,Charlie, and his best friend who is now my beautiful friend. Don't worry though, all of your hard work that you've put into school will pay off."

"Can we please change the subject? How was work? I saw Charlie at the library."

"It was tough, we met with a couple songwriters to write some songs for his new album. So far so good we are keeping with the schedule and if all runs smooth the album will be out in 6-8 months," Eric says enthusiastically. Even though he is facing the road I could see his blue-green eyes lit up when he talks about music, his mouth was being pulled into a smile. He really was a good looking guy.

"What are you staring at Kylie?"

"Um, honestly? I really don't know, I mean it looks like a human, but I can't really tell," I respond.

Eric laughed throwing his head back. I love how we can just insult each other and never get offended. If I were to say something like that to Charlie he would stare at me in shock not expecting me to have said those words. Back in the day, I never was super sarcastic. I was just a shy girl who tried to be the nicest person ever, but now after learning how to defend myself, I can spit out insults whenever.

The rest of the car ride included us mainly insulting each other and telling each other the cheesiest pick up lines we could think of. As we near my house I became quiet. My mom's car isn't there (there's a shocker) and Jamie is sitting on the front porch stairs with her brown hair in a matted mess and her face red. I know Eric is seeing what I'm seeing and he doesn't look too happy, "Eric, calm down. Let's just go and ask Jamie what's wrong;I'm sure everything's fine."

Just as Eric began to turn to respond, a dark tall figure stepped out of my house. My father was there behind her waiting for me. His big knuckles were bruised and he had a cut on his right eyebrow. Seeing the bruises on his knuckles made me look at Jamie and see her cheek bruised and her muscles tense.

"Eric you don't have--"

"Yes I do. I care about you too much. You both are some of the coolest people I've met. I can't just drive away Kylie. If something were to happen to you guys I wouldn't forgive myself for just leaving --" Eric jumps out of the car and storms to my dad because he hit her again. I go out to try and catch up to Eric to keep him from doing something stupid.

"Welcome home Kylie. Who the heck is he? Your boyfriend perhaps?"

"Why are you here? Where's my mother and why did you hurt Jamie. We made a deal," I try to shout but my voice comes out small.

" Your mother's at work. And I live here remember? This is my house. Your little sister was being rude and just needed some discipline after hitting me with a bottle," he replies. I look over at Jamie and she drops her head afraid of saying anything.

Eric moves next to her a confused look on his face as he watched my father and me. "Dad," I start which causes Eric's eyes to widen with surprise. " Jamie didn't mean any harm you probably provoked her. You hit her first. Didn't you?"

I feel his hand on my face and tears begin to fall. I look up at him and keep quiet.

"That's enough!! You can't hit a girl, especially your own daughters! If your going to lose your temper don't take it out on them!" Eric begins to argue, I send him a pleading look telling him to stop before he gets hurt but I'm too late. My dad hits Eric square in the jaw.

Eric is a big muscular guy but the punch caught him by surprise. I watch in terror as the two begin to fight.

"STOP IT!!" I yell. "Please just stop."

"Grab Jamie and wait in my car," Eric demands. I do as I'm told and get in the car that is still running. With one last shove Eric joins us and begins to drive away.