Chapter 16

I transported myself to the yacht right at 7 p.m. and I arrived at the very back of it. The sky was dim, and the sun reflected off of the ocean. The boat was dimly lit everywhere, but I decided to walk into the main entrance in search of Midas. I could hear soft jazz music echoing throughout the ship, and small white Christmas lights were spread around the boat. All of the rails had lights on them, making the gold softly glow.

I passed through the lounge area and made it to the front of the boat, where Midas was standing alone at the very front of the bow on the boat.

"Midas?" I called his name from far away. He turned around and he was dressed in his ghost uniform.

"Yes, dear?" He said with a smile.

"This is beautiful," I said and looked around the boat, and noticed a small jazz group softly playing music.

"I didn't know what you would like, but I thought this would be special," He said and began to approach me.

"I love it," I said with a smile.

"I would do anything to make you smile." He grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine.

I smiled and leaned my head on his arm and gazed into the sun setting on the ocean. I noticed that his hands had no gloves on them.

"You're not wearing your gloves," I said with a grin and looked up into his eyes.

"I-I can put them on if you want, I understand if you-"

"No. I like your hands," I said and grazed my thumb on his golden hand. There was a pause of silence until he spoke.

"I stopped wearing them regularly. You helped me realize that I'm not as dangerous as I think," He said and pulled me closer to his side.

"I think your ability is amazing. It shouldn't be taken for granted, but you wear it well," I said.

"Thank you dear," He said and brushed a piece of my hair back with his other hand, "Let's sit down."

He pulled me with him to a small table in the center of the bow, and he pushed my chair back for me. He grabbed two champagne glasses along with a bottle that had already been opened.

"Did you open that before I got here?" I giggled.

"Yes. I didn't want you to see me struggle with it. I'm lucky that it didn't fly everywhere," He said and poured some into my glass.

"I see," I laughed as he finished and began pouring some into his. I took a sip of the bitter but bubbly drink and set it back down.

"I think it's time you get to know more about me, and I learn more about you," He said and took a swig of the drink.

"That sounds nice," I said and sipped the bitter drink once again. I reached at my neck and gently toyed with the necklace, and Midas's eyes widened at the sight.

"I-Is that....my chain?" He stuttered worriedly.

"Yeah, Skye told me to wear it," I said, almost in a concerned voice.

"Where did you find that?" He asked, his eyes looking directly at the glowing chain that rested on my neck.

"With the rest of your jewelry," I said, "I can take it off if you want, I'm sorry-"

"No. Don't. It looks lovely on you," He said and reached over the table, and touched the necklace, sending a shimmer throughout the gold on his body, eventually making his golden eye twinkle.

"Skye said it was sentimental to you," I said and just ran my fingers over it.

"Y-Yeah, it kind of is. Get some more drinks in me and I'll go into further detail," He said and swallowed the rest of the champagne in his glass.