✓ THIRTY ONE

chapter thirty one
"lady liberty"

      "WAIT, WHY ARE YOU KICKING him out? He helped me!"

Lynn had chased directly after the security guard the second he had yanked JJ from the men's room — he didn't even wait for her, he didn't care. She tried jumping forward in an attempt at hooking her fingertips around his forearm, trying her best to pull him to a halt, but it was no avail. He kept shoving JJ forward, who was glancing backwards at Lynn to make sure she was okay. Either from Rafe touching her, or from being forced out.

"He tried starting a fight, ma'am, I've got to escort him out," the security guard answered, and she only let out a scoff — there was tears threatening to spill from her eyes, but she wasn't even sure why.

"So, then those boys could corner me in the men's restroom and they're fine? But he sticks up for me and he's out!?" Lynn snapped as she hopped in front of the security guard, making both him and JJ stop in their steps. The anger was starting to fume in her eyes to replace those wet tears from a few seconds ago, and JJ understood.

"It's okay. Evie, I'll see you later, alright?" JJ replied quickly, and with that the security guard forced JJ's body forward — almost making him trip. "Look, look man. I can walk for myself. I got legs. Can you see that, brother? Alright, I really appreciate what you did back there, let me just walk out by myself."

Lynn searched around the crowd frantically, desperate to see if she could spot Kie through all the Kooks, and how the girl could possibly help the situation. That was when they walked straight passed her while she was holding a conversation with her parents, and she gripped ahold of Lynn's wrist.

"What the hell is going on?" Kie questioned, narrowing her eyes at the security guard and JJ walking past the crowd of people — the man wanted to look nonchalant, but she didn't think JJ was going to be that easy.

"He's fucking kicking him out because Rafe and the other idiots tried fighting us in the guys restroom," Lynn spoke quickly, and that vexation was once again growing — it was clear on her scowled face, and in the threatening boom of her voice.

"It's okay, everybody! Do not panic!"

And apparently, the situation was going from bad to even worse. Lynn's eyes trailed JJ as she witnessed him downing a small glass of what looked like whiskey with a few ice cubes, and he let out an excited whoop.

"Leave it to the men and women in uniform. Let's hear it for them!" JJ clapped his hands together, and Lynn was pressing her lips together so she wouldn't let out a laugh — still wanting to look polite in front of Mr. and Mrs. C. "Rose, you look like Lady Liberty, it's good to see you again. Hey, buddy, can I have one of those?"