32

The next morning wasn't any better

The next morning wasn't any better. Hermione hadn't said a word yet and her eyes were still puffy from crying. Today they trio was going to move to a new place, each time getting slightly closer and closer to Hogwarts. They still weren't sure what the Horcruxes were and they still had no way to destroy it, but they had go stay on the move, they couldn't stay in one place for too long. Before they apparated to a new place, Hermione wrapped her scarf around a tree trunk so that way, if Ron ever decides to come back he would see that they didn't forget about him.

The two girls made their way to Harry's side, he was the one to chose the next location. He grabbed onto their hands and then they were gone. Once they arrived to the new location Hermione couldn't handle it anymore and let a few tears fall. He has the deluminator but she can't help but think that he won't ever find them, or even worse, the snatchers will find him first. In silence, Lorelai and Hermione set up the tent while Harry casted protective enchantments all around the area they were at.

The day seemed to drag on and on, passing as slow as ever. In order to not die of boredom, Lorelai indulged herself in a book on the sword of Gryffindor to see if she can read anything that can help with it's whereabouts. Harry was keeping watch outside and Hermione was deeply inspecting the locket. They kept radio was playing in the background to see if they heard Ron's name, or any of their friends and family, but no names were being said at the current moment. Instead, a muggle song called O Childred by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds was playing. It was the first song the radio had played in months.

O children
Lift up your voice
Lift up your voice
Children

At this, Harry makes his way to the two girls who were seated on the floor next to the radio and he extends both his hands. They grab his hands and stand up.

Rejoice
Rejoice
Hey, little train, we're jumping on
The train that goes to the kingdom

He drags both Hermione and Lorelai to the center of the tent where there is more space to move around.

We're happy, Ma, we're having fun
And the train ain't even left the station
Hey, little train, wait for me
I once was blind but now I see

He starts to move his arms back and forth making the girls move with him. Lorelai couldn't help but crack a smile at his attempts to make them smile.

Have you left a seat for me?
Is that such a stretch of the imagination?
Hey, little train, wait for me

Harry was a terrible dancer but it was enough to momentarily distract them all. He was now twirling his friends around and Hermione officially had a cheeky grin on her face.

I was held in chains, but now I'm free
I'm hanging in there, don't you see
In this process of elimination

They were swinging and twirling around in pure happiness. They hadn't smiled like that in months and it finally felt good to be distracted.

Hey, little train, we're jumping on
The train that goes to the kingdom
We're happy, Ma, we're having fun
It's beyong my wildest expectation

As the song came to an end, Harry pulled them up close to him and they just swayed to the music. The smile was slowly creeping off of Hermione's face and Lorelai just knew that as soon as the song finished she would go back to her normal sad state.

Hey, little train, we're jumping on
The train that goes to the kingdom
We're happy, Ma, were having fun
And the train ain't even left the station

The music fades away and they pull apart. There was a frown on Hermione's face and she just turns around to head back to the floor where she was sitting before. They all go to seperate corners of the room and sit in silence for the time being. They sat silent all throughout dinner which was yet again canned soup, and all throughout the rest of the evening. Hermione went back to inspecting thr locket around her neck, Lorelai kept on rereading the book about the sword of Gryffindor to make sure she didn't miss any crucial part of information and Harry went back outside to watch out for snatchers.

The next couple of days were also spent in complete silence other than the occasional 'goodmorning', 'goodnight', 'how are you feeling?' and 'what's there to eat?'. The trio had in no way moved any step forward to figuring out their next move. They were stuck. A few nights after Ron left, Hermione finally approached Lorelai, she was tired of the silence, she needed to talk with her best friend.

"Can we talk?" She asks glancing to Harry. "Outside?"

"Yeah, of course." Lorelai answers, standing up to go follow Hermione outside.

"Where are you going?" Harry calls out.

"We have to go... ummm... powder our noses." Hermione calls back out.

"Powder their noses?" They heard Harry mutter as they walked away from him.

Once they exit the tent Lorelai turns to Hermione with an eyebrow raised. "Powder our noses? Really, Mione, that's the best you could come up with?" She chuckled. "I mean, Harry is as daft as they come, but even he caught on that you just made up something at the spur of the moment."

"Sorry."

"Don't apologize, what did you want to talk about?"

"Ron." She stressed. "I really miss him."

"I know, we all do."

"He asked if I was coming with him, I should have gone, at least he would be safe."

"Ron can handle being on his own, he's a skilled wizard." Lorelai pointed out.

"Oh come on, you can't possibly think that." She complained. "He might be skilled but he lacks common sense, he would forget to put up protective enchantments, he'd probably fall asleep in some grimy, old pub where anyone could see him. He isn't careful."

"One would think that after spending six years with us he would learn a little something."

Hermione shoots an annoyed look to Lorelai hinting for her to stop playing around. "Fine, maybe he is a bit unprepared to be alone." She succumbs.

"A bit?"

"Alright, a whole lot."

"I knew it! He is going to get captured and tortured and killed." Hermione croaked.

"No, no, no, no, he won't. Blimey, you have very morbid thoughts."

"What do you think happens to the wizards who disappear, Lorelai?"

"Ron won't be one of those wizards! You have to have faith." Lorelai urges.

"Yeah, yeah. Faith. You're right." She says while wiping away a few tears that managed to escape her eyes. "I guess you can close your eyes to things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to things you don't want to feel." She reaches out her hand and wraps it around Lorelai's arm and the two girls walk back to the tent.

"Woah that was deep. Are you sure you aren't some sort of philosopher?"

Hermione smiled, "no, I just read way too much."

Sorry guys! These past few chapters have been sort of filler chapters, I honestly have no clue what to write.

Also thank you so much for 10k + reads!

And it's also my birthday! 🥳