prologue

note: I wrote this book when I was 15. I appreciate it for what it is now, but just keep that in mind when reading. It was a quick short story I wrote and was an experimental form of writing I wanted to try out too. I still hope you enjoy it. <3

0 | Prologue

Stacey Williams first thought she was in love with Axel Teller when she was thirteen.

It was halfway through the eighth grade and she had always noticed the dark haired boy who lived at the end of the street. She would always see him as he walked over to the post boxes for the mail and would watch from afar at school.

But Axel had never talked to Stacey.

She was pretty much sure that he didn't even know she existed. It didn't matter that they had been in the same grade since Axel moved to town which was when they were ten; Axel didn't even see Stacey.

No matter how close she got.

I guess it could hurt a little bit to finally admit to yourself that the guy you love has no idea who you are and has probably only seen your face about two times and saw nothing different in you compared to every other girl in school.

But unfortunately for her, Stacey was a fighter. And she would keep on going and going. It didn't matter when Axel got a girlfriend in grade nine. It didn't matter when nearly the whole school found out he lost his virginity.

And it didn't matter when he kissed girls right in front of her – unknowing of the heart he was breaking.

But then – the day after Axel broke up with his girlfriend of ten months – he noticed Stacey.

Not because he thought she was beautiful or that he thought she was funny, kind and smart. He didn't notice her because she had completely fallen in love with him. He noticed her because she was there.

He noticed her because she looked easy.

And Stacey thought nothing of it. Stacey was happy. Stacey was content.

Axel would use her and she wouldn't bat an eyelid. She was so unaware of the fact that all she was doing was digging herself a hole that she couldn't get out of. That she was only going to get her heart ruined.

But Stacey was a fighter - and that would ultimately be her downfall.

follow my instagram for more: authortahliepurvis