Chapter 5

"Nandini you had me worried." Manik's voice was heard through the phone as soon as I answered. His voice is full of concern. Damn, I feel bad. I haven't had anyone worrying about me except for my family and friends.

"I'm so sorry Manik I got busy talking with my parents and I totally forgot. So sorry."

I really feel bad for worrying him. Wait he was supposed to text me when he reached home as well, did he text me? He probably did. Not everyone is like you.

"It's not okay but I'll let it go this time. When someone tells you to message them when you reach, they mean it Nandini. Remember that next time. I'm not a very patient man and being worried is a feeling I don't tolerate well." His voice is stern. Damn, he's scolding me. I feel like a 10-year-old Nandini who did something bad and is getting scolded for it. When was the last time I was scolded?

"I said I'm sorry." I try my cute voice that always works on my dad and it probably worked on Manik too because I hear him sigh and then changing the subject.

"You should be tired. Go to sleep Murty. We'll talk tomorrow." I don't want him to hang up. I want to talk to him more but I also know he must be tired. He had back to back meetings until he came to see me.

"Okay bye. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Nandini."

I stare at Smurfy who is on my lap as I put my phone down on the bed.

"I guess it's just you and me buddy. What should we do now? Should we watch some Netflix?" I ask him as if he's going to answer me. I talk to my pet okay? It's normal. Sometimes he answers me with a bark.

Laying down with Smurfy, I turn on the tv and press on the Netflix icon with the remote. Before I could decide on what to watch, I feel the sudden urge to eat chips. Chips it is then.

I run downstairs to the kitchen, grab two packs of chips, and run back to my room. Food is the only thing that gets me running.

Laying back down, I decide on continuing watching The King. Korean men, I tell you, they are fvcking hot.

It's 12:55 when my phone buzzes. A text from Manik.

You looked really beautiful today. I forgot to say that.
M

I blush instantly. My eyes wander on top of the screen where I see more texts from him that I hadn't seen before.

I'm home. Did you reach safely?
M

Nandini I'm starting to get worried. Tell me you are home.
M

Nandini please respond to my calls or texts.
M

This is just making me feel more guilty. Shit, I really need to be more responsible. All the lectures of my mom come to my mind. I guess you were right mother.

I contemplate calling Manik. It's pretty late but after reading his texts, I really need to talk to him in order to feel less guilty. I need to know he is okay with me. That he is not mad.

Taking a deep breath, I call him. He answers pretty fast. I guess he was doing something on his phone.

"Hi." I hear his sweet voice.

"Hi. I hope I'm not disturbing you."

"You can never disturb me, Nandini. Why aren't you sleeping? It's 1:00 am."