Chapter Four

An ice cold shower was exactly what Florence needed.

She had made Ben guard the door for her, so she could focus on the shower rather than any unwanted boys invading her privacy. She would've gotten Minho to stand guard for her, but his ankle prevented him from being able to put up a fight if needs be, so she chose the other runner instead.

Florence didn't know if she enjoyed showers this much before the Glade, but she was enjoying this very much. She tilted her head up to the thin stream of water and ran her hands through her hair.

This is probably the only guaranteed place for privacy. How often am I going to get privacy around here?

"Are you done yet? How long do you take, jeez?!" She heard Ben's impatient voice from outside, and let out a groan.

There's something missing here. Obviously freedom, but something else. Music.

Florence's eyes sprung open at the random word that had popped into her head. But her heart jolted, as if the word was meaningful, as if music was meaningful. Her mind flashed to something; and she didn't know if it was a real memory or her imagination.

She found herself in a dirtied room, sat on the floor with her bare feet scratching against the concrete. She looked only about five, with dust floating in the air around her and the figures she found herself with - an adult woman and a young boy about six.

She squinted to see their faces, but they were blurred just enough so she couldn't make out any facial features.

And in her hands was a guitar.

She didn't know how she knew how to play it, but her fingers were gliding along the strings with ease as she played a soft tune, singing along gently.

It felt real.

"Alright I'm done." She grumbled, snapping out of her daydream, and turned off the flow of water. She reached for a towel and wrapped it around herself, drying herself before changing quickly into her previous clothes.

Do they have hairdryers here?

Opening the door all ready but with wet hair still, she gave Ben a large smile, the boy in turn rolling his eyes and already taking off across the Glade.

"Slow down!" She called after the boy, before breaking into a jog to keep up.

"I know this is a little awkward, but I have some questions." She told him, and a flicker of amusement passed his face.

"Go ahead then Greenie."

"I know you get weekly deliveries with stuff you need and all that, and I was just wondering if I could request a few things." She fumbled with her hands, feeling nervous to be asking this.

She needed a lot of things.

"Of course. Obviously there's a few things you need that we definitely don't have." Ben chuckled, and Florence blushed with embarrassment.

Ben led her into the Homestead and down a corridor into a room she hadn't seen before. Newt had mentioned the Council room before, so she assumed this was it.

There was a semi circle of chairs in front of another lone chair, and there were shelves of things on the walls either side. Newt and Alby were stood at a table, talking in hushed whispers with their heads close together.

"Clearly the Creators are telling us things are gonna change-" 

"I still think it was an accident-"