22 • inkin' inkitt pt. 1

[part one; read carefully until the end]

Let's talk about Inkitt.

To those who are not familiar with the app, there's not much to miss because, to put it bluntly, Inkitt is a writing app/site that operates similarly to Wattpad. It has a community of both writers and readers, and they also host writing contests (we'll get to this later).

There was a commotion that happened recently on Instagram wherein the writing community started to question (not in a good way) the intentions of Wattpad.

Apparently, there had been cases of writers having their book removed without notice, and according to them, it was because of jealous writers who wanted to bring them down, reporting their books with ill intent.

I have my own doubts on that but of course, that's not what I'm going to discuss today so let's move on. Because of it, some writers are debating whether to unpublish their works here (on Wattpad) and move to Inkitt, for reasons I can totally understand because I thought of the same thing.

BUT that was before it occurred to me on why I steered clear of that writing app in the first place. Let me elaborate for you.

You see, at first glance, you really WILL be entranced with Inkitt. And this is not only because of their contests, which promises money and occasionally, publication but also if you decide to publish your work on their site, there's this bar:

 And this is not only because of their contests, which promises money and occasionally, publication but also if you decide to publish your work on their site, there's this bar:

Image taken from 'ficgristle.wordpress/2018/01/27/the-dark-side-of-inkitt/'

Long story short, if you manage to fill up the 'Collected Data' bar then you will be given the chance to get your book published (paperback, ebook, etc). THIS is what I believe makes people want to publish their stories on Inkitt.

And publication! It's a damn miracle! Almost too good to be true!

Don't get too comfortable because there's more to this than meets the eye. The site I listed above also plays a part, but worry not because I'm going to summarize what it says for you:

The article was written by James, a writer who stumbled upon Inkitt and used it for a while until he decided to delete his story on their site only TWO MONTHS later. Might as well take note of that lmao. Here's what he wrote:

"I went from excited to disillusioned, which led me on an investigation where I became appalled. It takes a minute to go through that kind of emotional range, so have a seat. This is the story of an Inkitt user from November 2017 to January 2018."

Red flag alert.

So James got interested in Inkitt's novel contest so he published his story and shared it with his friends to get started. He took note of the two bars on the app's analytics feature: 'Chapter Reads' (self-explanatory) and 'Collected Data' (as I explained above).