30 outdoors

"I don't like fish," I grunted, looking at the standardised box of food given to us.

"Do you want to trade your chicken for fish?" I turned my head up, looking at the woman sitting opposite me.

"Sure," She chuckled, using her spoon to scoop out the chicken.

I picked up the fish with my chopsticks.

"Dahyun! You're gonna drop it!" She laughed, pushing her box nearer so it wouldn't drop on the table.

"It won't drop," I assured, but at that moment, the fish had slid off my chopsticks.

"I knew it, I saw this coming," She laughed.

"If I didn't push to box, it would've dropped on the table!" She scolded, satisfied with herself for saving the piece of fish.

It's cute how you get happy at the smallest things.

"For today's set of activities, we're going out!"

I cheered, turning my head to Sana.

"Little Sana, are you too lazy to walk?" I chuckled, patting her gently on the head.

She pushed my hand away, laughing.

"I'm older than you! and yes, I am too lazy to walk," I complained as I smiled in return.

"We'll walk together, it'll be fun walking with me!" I assured her jokingly.

She nodded sarcastically, as Irene called for the campers to gather outside.

"It's too hot," I grunted as soon as we stepped out of the air conditioned building.

"Oh! Sunscreen!" She somewhat responded as she whipped a white bottle out of her pocket.

"You carry it with you everywhere?" I laughed.

"Stop laughing!" Ironic because she was too, and then she went on to justify herself.

"Did you put any?" She said while rubbing the white cream over her face.

Something about that was so adorable.

I shook my head.

"Here," She squeezed more on her hand and rubbed the cream all over my face.

I wasn't one to touch my own face with my fingertips because I always found it too dirty. Now I was letting someone else rub sun cream all over it.

Well, it wasn't just anyone, it was you.

Something about her taking care of me like this made my heart so full.

"It's really so hot," She chuckled, as we walked.

"Make a song about how hot it is!" I suggested.

She laughed at how random I was being. "Do you really think I will?" She raised an eyebrow.

"No," I shook my head sheepishly.

"I'll make one," And within a few minutes, she was swaying her head to my song. The rest of the students were far ahead, most already out of sight.

"We need to catch up with them," She pointed out.

"It's alright, you probably don't want to participate in the games anyway," I shrugged.

"You're starting to know me quite well, Kim Dahyun,"

Then buzzing came from my pocket, interrupting our precious time together.

"Dahyun! Where are you? Most of us are already at the venue, they're asking for you and Sana!" Son Chaeyoung.

So many things were wrong with me. One of them, especially, would be at the fact that at that very moment, when my best friend who I had neglected for too long was calling for me, I could only focus on the fact that she mentioned both Sana and I in the same sentence.

Of course I smiled.

"We're on our way!" I said and hung up turning back to Sana, already feeling bad for not paying attention to her the past few seconds.

She was looking at her phone.

"Mina texted me too," She chuckled.

"We should hurry back!" She gently placed her arm on my back and gave me a light push then started jogging.

——

"Dahyun!" Chaeyoung called, waving her hands frantically.

I took a quick glance at Sana, who was slowly walking to Mina's side.

Of course my heart ached a little, how could it not?

"Now that everyone is back, we'll start off by playing team games!" Irene declared.

As usual, we lined up in our groups and I was back by Sana'a side once again.

We were both seated side by side, cross legged.

"Grass," I pointed out.

"Do you know that when you crush them, a weird smell comes out?" She said plucky one off the ground.

"No? You're just making that up," I laughed it off, watching her tear that "thin-leaf" into bits.

"Here," She said, putting the crushed grass in my palm.

"Smell it," She encouraged as I looked at her skeptically.

"It just smells like grass," I shrugged.

She shook her head. "There's this smell," She carried on sniffing the bits on her palm.

"Dahyun's group, please stand! You're up next for the relay!" A man I barely recognised called.

I quickly stuffed the grass in my pocket.

"It's dirty! Why would you put it in your pocket!" Sana gently nudged me on the shoulder, trying to squeeze her hand into my pocket.

"Stop!" I laughed.

"I want to keep it as a memory," I said quietly, quite certain she heard it as I saw her smirk from the corner of my eye.

We had to carry an egg in between our arms, without our hands.

Soon enough, a raw egg was put between my right and Sana's left arm.

She was so, so close to me. I liked it a little too much.

"Transport as many eggs as you can into the bucket without cracking it!"

And slowly, we did as we were told.

Until we got to the bucket.

"Let's just drop it in," I said, giving up on finding a strategy.

Was it even possible to use your arms to place a raw egg in a bucket without it cracking?

"No!" Sana was persistent. Another thing to add to the list, the list of a million reasons why I liked her this much.

I moved my arm away, letting the egg fall and crack.

"Dahyun!" She scolded, but an astonished smile was plastered on her face.

"Penalty!" Irene yelled the moment she spotted us.

"I didn't know there was penalty," I turned to Sana, looking worried.

"A water balloon will be put in between your backs and popped!"

Sana turned to me with a fake angry glare.

Oh, how cute she looked.

"Look what you did!" She scolded yet again.

How could I take it seriously? When she was this cute?

Now our backs were squished together.

Kim Dahyun is really winning today.

The balloon popped and Sana squealed.

"It's so cold!" She laughed, smacking me on the shoulder.