Chapter Eight

28 February 2544 (Military Calendar).

L.C.S.F 'Angeles', approaching Covenant-occupied moon 'Exalted IV'.

It had been over a year since the augmentations, and advanced training had just ended after almost a thirteen-month stretch. Finn's soldiers were better than ever, more than ready to fulfil their purpose. The unrelenting days and sleepless nights. The constant testing, both physical and mental. It all boiled up to this one moment.

The Wolves were on their first mission.

'Operation: JUNGLEBUSTER', as it was known, was going to be their first contact with Covenant forces. Or at least, as King's intel provided, a rogue dispatch of Kig-Yar pirates. Humans called them Jackals, although they weren't the least bit canine in nature. Instead they were bipedal, six feet tall, and looked like a deformed cross between a bird and a reptile. They weren't that tough a foe, at least not to Wolf squad anyway.

However, intel also suggested that the planet was home to a Brute clan inhabiting the barren wastes - and that could be a real pain in the ass for the mission. They were assured by King himself that although both factions traded, they were not allied in any way. Yet the threat was still there, hovering over them dangerously like a constant reminder that they were on the edge.

The plan was to swoop in low by Pelican to one of the moon's many deserts and enter one of the small patches of jungle dotting the surface on foot. Small was an understatement, really. This particular mass of flora was hundreds of miles across. But deep inside, it housed the Kig-Yar camp. They had weapon crates, something the Corporation spooks up top wanted badly for research purposes. It made sense. After all, the Corporation was a big contributor to the UNSC war effort. If the UNSC got hold of Covvie firepower, there'd be smiles all around.

Right now the Wolves were strapped into the dropship, adrenaline spiking at the thought of battle.

"Good luck today warriors. Get in, get the crates ready for pickup. Make sure you kill those Jackal bastards before they can squawk" Lane's voice echoed over the cabin speakers, "I'll be on over watch looking after y'all".

That put Finn's small worries and doubts to rest. They wouldn't be alone - their mentor would be there with them, even if it was just in spirit.

"Well, this is exciting" King announced, appearing on a pedestal near the cockpit. He had made a copy of himself prior to the mission, and insisted that he be brought along on board the Angeles. It was a bit of a dumb move, as King was now steeped in rampancy. One little negative twitch could mess up the system and wreak havoc for the team. Thankfully, Finn caught himself thinking, the AI wouldn't be around long enough to see their next mission.

"System check!" his twitchy hologram announced with a broad grin, "Alpha!"

Finn heard his codename - something he inherited from the other Wolves as a sort of nickname - and gave King the green light.

"Black!"

Kate sent back her confirmation.

"Deadeye!"

Elena gave two thumbs up. King would catch that from the cameras and register it as a positive reply.

"Spectre!"

Gareth nodded silently.

"Elijah!"

Eli confirmed his systems were in order, yet sounded distant and faint. Nerves, perhaps, as these Covenant aliens were a foe they had not previously encountered in combat. Sure, Lane had shot at them with a captured 'plasma pistol', but it wasn't the same. Humans were predictable, Covenant weren't.