BOOK 2: Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

Professor Robert Wilson was sipping coffee when the general barged into his office. The massive military man looked out of place in the warmly decorated room.

“Time is of the essence professor. What’s so important that we have to meet in person?”

“General, I’ve stumbled upon something I think will change everything. Have a seat, I’ll explain. Care for some coffee?”

“Thanks but no,” said the general and took the chair opposite to the professor.

“Very well then,” said the professor, “Are you aware of incorruptible bodies of the saints?”

“No,” said the general with a puzzled look.

“Not very religious are you?”

“I just don’t have the time these days,” said the general with half a smile.

“Incorruptible are the corpses that do not decay after death. For decades or even centuries. The corpse stays in pretty much the same condition as it was on the day the person died. Throughout history there have been numerous saints, who after death have left behind incorruptible bodies. That’s not all, the dead corpses of saints, for some reason, usually emits a sweet odor instead of the gut wrenching smell of the dead.”

“What do the scientists say about this?” asked the general.

“Obviously they don’t believe in miracles. They blame it on embalming and sealed caskets.”

“Makes sense,” said the general.

“Not in all cases. Science has no explanation for incorruptible bodies that were neither sealed nor embalmed after death. It is a mystery yet to be solved.”

“Fair enough,” said the general, “I’m no scientist and have no interest in disproving miracles. I get a sense that the reason I’m here has something to do with incorruptible saints.”

“It does, I have been seeking and collecting perfect incorruptible corpses for the last decade now. I managed to get five.”

“Corpse collector,” said the general with a playful frown on his face, “I didn’t expect that from you.”

“I have an interesting theory,” said the professor. “A theory based on the Hamilton accident.”

The general shifted his weight in the chair and leaned forward with interest in his now glittering eyes.

“I was never satisfied by the official explanation for the Hamilton accident. Hallucinations caused by radiation from heavy elements. I always believed it was some sort of a portal into another dark world that wrecked havoc in Hamilton.”

“Why do you think so?” asked the general in a curious tone.

“I’ve always had a strong intuition. I don’t know how but I believe it’s a gift. I can just feel when something is wrong or right. Just like I knew I had to find and collect the incorruptibles without knowing why, and then all of a sudden last week it dawned on me. I had to bring them back to life.”

“Did you?” asked the general in almost a whisper.

“It was tough to find an undocumented Age-reversal machine with a willing operator, and it cost me a fortune to arrange the reversal for one of the incorruptibles but I managed to do it. The incorruptible did not come back to life after the procedure, but a portal opened to a different world just as I had suspected. Unfortunately the operator got scared and reset the machine and closed the portal immediately but I knew the portal wasn’t to a dark world.”

“How are you so sure?” asked the general.

“I heard the voices coming from the procedure room. It was the most divine chant I’ve ever heard. Definitely some sort of beautiful prayer. The language was alien to me, but I felt the beautiful energy.”

“Fascinating,” said the general, “I can arrange an Age-reversal machine for us in the middle of the desert and we can see what lies on the other side.”

“That’s a great idea,” said the professor, “but there is one complication. The five incorruptible bodies of the saints I collected were stolen last night.”

“What?” said the general jumping out of his chair.

“Yes, stolen right from this building.”

“Do you suspect someone?”

“ELF’s probably. They know I had the incorruptible bodies. They can’t burn them. The bodies are of historical importance and protected by all laws. I think the ELF’s must have found out about my attempt to resurrect the dead saint.”

“You think someone might have tipped them off?”

“No, I don't know how they found out, but we must get the incorruptibles back.”

“I agree professor.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Friends,
I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
Cheers,
Harneet