forty-one ☆ christmas memory

DECEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

"this drama stinks because i was kind of planning on inviting everybody over on christmas eve," zach pointed out, throwing the empty plastic smoothie cup into the garbage can.

"oh my gosh, really?" elena asked.

"yeah, i was kind of excited for it too. it would have been my first time having a bunch of people come over since i hosted this party at the beginning of junior year," zach pointed out, "plus, i can prove to my parents that i've made friends."

"well, they know me, isn't that proof enough?" elena questioned.

"of course, ellie," zach replied, interlocking his hand with hers as they walked out of the smoothie and açaí bowl shop, "well, they didn't exactly believe i made a friend until they actually met you, especially since it was after alayna's death. i guess i've been pretty content that i've made more friends, and i was just looking forward to show my parents that those friends are real."

"aw, zach," elena gushed, laying her head against his shoulder, "don't worry, i think this drama will be over soon."

the two headed into the car, and zach began driving to elena's neighborhood.

"well, since we're the only ones out of the two groups that don't hate each other, would you like the come over on christmas eve?" zach offered.

"i can't make christmas eve since i have a bunch of family stuff," elena pointed out, "i can definitely make christmas day. is that okay?"

"yeah, of course," zach remarked, "speaking of christmas, what do you want?"

elena shrugged, "i'm not sure, i never really get christmas presents."

"what do you mean?" zach asked, turning onto elena's street.

"i mean, i get some stuff like candy and a few gift cards from my aunts and uncles, but that's basically it. karen doesn't really do anything festive for the holidays. i'd do anything to even have a christmas tree," elena sighed.

"wait, karen doesn't put up a christmas tree?" zach questioned, his jaw dropping.

"nope," elena answered, "actually, i do remember an amazing christmas memory. the christmas during third grade was probably the very best. i remember my dad, mom, and i leaving milk and cookies for santa, and some carrots for his reindeer. before i went to bed, my mom read me a christmas tale. it was about frosty the snowman. i remember i couldn't sleep that night since i was so excited to see what was in my stocking and if santa would come. when i woke up, in my stocking was the one thing i wrote on my wishlist. it was this pink and purple bicycle i saw at target. i wanted it so bad, but when i first saw it, my mom said we didn't have enough money to buy it. i was just so happy that santa got my wish. i miss those days."

zach smiled, "that must have been a really great day, ellie. i promise you we'll have a great christmas together."

the two got out of zach's car, and he escorted her to the front steps. their arms clasped around each other, and elena laid her head on zach's chest while his arms tightly held onto the petite girl. their heartbeats were in unison, and neither one of them wanted to let go.

however, a voice randomly shouted, "elena? what are you doing?!"

the two jumped apart, and the front door of elena's house opened. a woman appeared, and she asked, "elena, why are you hugging this boy?"

"oh, hi, i'm zach," the brunet remarked, "i'm elena's friend."

"okay, zeke," karen replied, "elena, get inside. you have to wash the dishes."

elena followed her stepmother into the house, and waved goodbye to zach. she mouthed a sorry to him, and he waved back at her.

-

zach arrived back at his house, and his mother asked him, "where have you been, zach?"

"i was with elena, why, mom?" zach inquired.

"oh, nothing," myta replied, attempting to hide her smirk.

"i can see your face, mom," zach groaned, earning a laugh from his mother.

"sorry, honey, i've just noticed that you come home later than usual, and you always spend time with elena," myta explained, "i'm just really happy that things are turning out well for you."

"speaking of elena, i invited her over on christmas day. is that fine?" zach questioned.

"of course it is," myta answered, "what are you getting her for christmas?"

"i'm not sure," zach sighed, "i need to think of something fast."

...